Solving a Diff. Equation: y'=x+y, y(0)=2

• Thread starter skyturnred
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation, y'-y=x, with the initial condition y(0)=2. The person attempted to rearrange and integrate the equation, but made a mistake and ended up with a wrong answer. They were able to correct their mistake after receiving a hint about using an integrating factor.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

Solve:

y'=x+y, y(0)=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I THINK my method is correct.. but I messed up somewhere.

I rearrange for y'-y=x

integrate both sides gets me:

y-[itex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]

after completing the square I get

(y-1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1

But this is where I mess up. To solve for y, I square root each side. But then I get '+ or -' on the right side:

y=[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{-x^{2}+1}[/itex]+1+c

so solving for both cases gets me c=0 OR c=2. But I can only have once answer. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

Solve:

y'=x+y, y(0)=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I THINK my method is correct.. but I messed up somewhere.

I rearrange for y'-y=x

integrate both sides gets me:

y-[itex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]

after completing the square I get

(y-1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1

But this is where I mess up. To solve for y, I square root each side. But then I get '+ or -' on the right side:

y=[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{-x^{2}+1}[/itex]+1+c

so solving for both cases gets me c=0 OR c=2. But I can only have once answer. Where did I go wrong?

Going from y'-y=x to [itex]y-\frac{y^2}{2} =\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] is wrong. The DE reads as [itex] dy - y dx = x dx,[/itex] so when you integrate on the left you don't get y - y^2/2. You need to use an "integrating factor"; see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/deqn/de8.html , or read your textbook.

RGV

Thanks! Your hint helped me get the right answer!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model various real-life phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. What does the notation "y' = x + y" mean?

The notation "y' = x + y" means that the derivative of the function y with respect to x is equal to the sum of x and y. This is known as a first-order, linear differential equation.

3. What is the initial value problem for this differential equation?

The initial value problem for this differential equation is y(0) = 2, which means that the value of the function y at x=0 is equal to 2. This initial condition is necessary to find a specific solution to the differential equation.

4. How do you solve this differential equation?

To solve this differential equation, we can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. In this case, the solution can be found by using separation of variables and then using the initial condition to find the constant of integration.

5. What is the final solution to this differential equation?

After solving the differential equation, the final solution is y = -x -1 + 3e^x. This solution satisfies the given differential equation and the initial condition y(0) = 2.