Aligning 2 Sequences using Needleman-Wunsch

In summary: Fourth, you need to understand sequence alignment and the different methods that are used for it.Fifth, you need to be familiar with database searching and analysis.Sixth, you need to be familiar with sequence manipulation and bioinformatics software.In summary, to align two sequences using the Needleman-Wunsch algorithm, you need to change a parameter in the software.
Wunsch
I tryed to align two sequences
CCATTGGAGTA
and CATAGA
using Needleman-Wunsch algorithm but it only gives me 2 alignment resutls
CCATTGGAGTA
C-A-T--AG-A
and
CCATTGGAGTA
C-AT---AG-A

while I thought it should be 4 results because the first C in the second sequence is also permutable, right ?

So can you tell me how to take out the other two alignments ?

Thank you very much inadvance

Biology news on Phys.org
You should be able to change some parameter in the software option. You can change the gap penalty. Some alignment software also have problem when it comes to the first base pair permutation.

Thank iansmith, I solve that problem with a pen and a piece of paper only..
But i am still really wanting to know how a software parameter change would be able to handle that problem, what does such a software do to get 4 alignments ?
This is what I took from my biology class, talking with me about software thingies I think is like pouring water on a duck's head because I actually don't understand a thing at all.

Thank you so very much in advance and a "Happy New Year" from me to you too...:wink:

I never get any help from anyone except iansmith !

During class, we were pointed to ClustalW (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/clustalw/) to do sequence alignments. Click the FAQ, and walla! It gives you help on exactly what all those insane options do...

And don't dispair, bioinformatics is a tough subject - and gets worse. Once I waltzed into my uni's computer labs to check my email and saw my friends (who were doing biomedical science) crying during their bioinformatics prac

Last edited:
For 2 sequence aligment you can use Blast 2 sequence and you easily change so parameter.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/bl2seq/wblast2.cgi

For Clustal, I prefer to use the version available at the Biology Workbeanch of UCSD
http://workbench.sdsc.edu/

You need to register and it is free. Also you get a bunch of other bioinformatic tools.

I also took a grad level class. You need to understand the principle and theory behind bioinformatics. It make more sense once you understand the basics. My class was mostly about sequence alignment, BLAST and making threes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you jikx
iansmith, I know that was my mistake, I am really sorry. Can you tell me how to do now ? I don't know what i should do. I am really stuck!
By the way, would you also tell me what lies behind bioinformatics ?

Just paste this in the big white box (from the site i mentioned above):

>FOSB_Wunsch1 Protein fosA
CCATTGGAGTA

>FOSB_Wunsch2 Protein fosB
CATAGA

and you get an output like this:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/clustalw/result?tool=clustalw&jobid=clustalw-20050106-11352860&poll=yes

which is an output before you muck around with all the settings like window length, gap extensions etc (the FAQ can help you there) .. however, these programs are more for sequences which are hundreds of of basepairs long!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wunsch, do you have any theoritical part for class.

If you don't:
First, you need to understand the mathematical models that are behind bioinformatics. You should look the Wright-Fisher model, Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium, and Neutral model.
Second, you need to understand probability and how it applies to bioinformatics.
Third, try to understand what is behind the scoring methods such as the blossom scoring matrix.

1. How does the Needleman-Wunsch algorithm work?

The Needleman-Wunsch algorithm is a dynamic programming approach that aligns two sequences based on their similarity. It assigns a score to each position in the alignment, taking into account the match, mismatch, and gap penalties. The algorithm then finds the optimal alignment with the highest score by considering all possible alignments and choosing the one with the maximum score.

2. What is the purpose of aligning two sequences using Needleman-Wunsch?

The main purpose of aligning two sequences using Needleman-Wunsch is to identify the degree of similarity between the sequences. It can be used to compare DNA, RNA, or protein sequences and determine their evolutionary relationship or functional similarities. It can also be used to identify conserved regions and mutations within sequences.

3. What is the time and space complexity of the Needleman-Wunsch algorithm?

The time complexity of the Needleman-Wunsch algorithm is O(mn), where m and n are the lengths of the two sequences being aligned. The space complexity is also O(mn), as it requires a matrix of size m x n to store the scores and traceback information for each position in the alignment.

4. How are the match, mismatch, and gap penalties determined in Needleman-Wunsch?

The match, mismatch, and gap penalties in Needleman-Wunsch are typically user-defined and can vary depending on the type of sequences being aligned. The match score is usually positive, while the mismatch and gap penalties are negative. A higher match score indicates a better alignment, while a higher mismatch or gap penalty indicates a less favorable alignment.

5. Are there any limitations to using Needleman-Wunsch for sequence alignment?

While Needleman-Wunsch is a widely-used and effective algorithm for sequence alignment, it does have some limitations. It assumes a linear relationship between sequence similarity and evolutionary distance, which may not always be accurate. Additionally, it may not be suitable for aligning very long sequences due to its time and space complexity.