BJT Transition Frequency for a High-Frequency Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between transition frequency and unity-gain bandwidth frequency and how it affects the current gain of a BJT. The transition frequency is defined as the frequency at which the current gain drops to unity, and in order to achieve a gain of 10 at 125 MHz, a BJT with a transition frequency of 1.25 GHz is needed. However, other factors such as input capacitance and transit time also play a role in the speed and performance of the BJT.
satchmo05
Hey all,

If I understand correctly, transition frequency is synonymous with the unity-gain bandwidth frequency. With that said, if you divide the gain at the operating frequency by the transition frequency, you should get the operating frequency. Please correct my logic if I am incorrect.

The reason why I ask is because I am designing a system that uses HF signals (120 & 125 MHz), and I am in need of a BJT that can handle these sorts of HF signals. At this frequency, I need a current gain, hFE/β somewhere between 5-40 (not exactly sure incoming base current at this time). I'm assuming the gain would need to be somewhere around 5-10.

Due to its availability and cost ($0.00), I have researched the 2N2222A NPN BJT. It has a transition frequency of 300 MHz. With my logic above, if I were to operate at 125 MHz, I would receive a current gain close to 2.5, well under what I need for my design. Is my logic correct here? Do I need to look for a BJT with a transition frequency closer to 1 GHz to obtain the required current gain I need?

Thank you for your assistance,

- Satchmo05

P.S. I apologize for posting this twice, I realized it would be better for me to post this in the EE section, rather than General Engineering Design.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have the sure answer, I just join in the discussion.

Rough estimate, if you want gain of 10 at 125MHz, you want [itex]f_T\;[/itex]=1.25GHz which is 10 time 125MHz. I have designed BJT amplifier circuits with comparable gain faster than 125MHz using 1GHz BJTs

But in reality, I don't think it is nothing that simple. I think the [itex]f_T\;[/itex] is defined in certain input driving condition. There are other factors in the input driving characteristics that are very important. Don't quote me on this, but... It has a lot to do with input capacitance and Miller capacitance: [itex]C_{be} \;\hbox {and } C_{bc}\;[/itex] respectively. If your drive is 50Ω, you form an RC and there is a pole that relates to [itex]f_T\;[/itex]. But if your drive is very low impedance, it would be faster.

Another factor is the transit time or something in the semi conductor which I am not familiar with, also play a role in the speed of the BJT.

I know the s-parameter of RF BJT take into consideration of the input capacitance and Miller capacitance, that the reason you have [itex] S_{11} \;\hbox { and } S_{12}[/itex]. That's the reason you see from Smith Chart the input impedance actually become reactive and goes quite low.

When you talk about gain, I assume is voltage gain. But if frequency is very high, the input impedance become quite low and driving become a problem. In RF, we mostly talk about power gain rather than voltage gain as it take power to drive the BJT to get output. In another word even if you have a voltage gain equal 10, but if your input impedance become so low that it takes a lot of power to even drive the input.

Someone more familiar with BJT might be able to answer this.

Last edited:
I surf around a little. [itex]f_T\;[/itex] is defined as frequency where [itex]\beta\;[/itex] falls to unity. It is the frequency current gain drops to unity.

In another word, [itex]R_{in}= \beta R_E≈R_E\;[/itex] The input impedance beome low and the transistor kind of disappeared!

Here is a link:

http://cktse.eie.polyu.edu.hk/eie304/FrequencyResponse.pdf

1. What is BJT transition frequency for a high-frequency design?

BJT transition frequency, also known as the current gain-bandwidth product, is a measure of the maximum frequency at which a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) can effectively amplify an input signal. In high-frequency designs, it is important to consider the BJT transition frequency to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

2. How is BJT transition frequency calculated?

The BJT transition frequency is calculated by multiplying the current gain (hFE) with the unity-gain frequency (fT). The current gain is determined by the BJT's design and can be found in the datasheet. The unity-gain frequency is the frequency at which the current gain drops to 1.

3. What factors affect the BJT transition frequency?

The BJT transition frequency is affected by the physical dimensions of the transistor, the doping concentration, and the operating temperature. It is also influenced by the biasing conditions and the load impedance of the circuit.

4. Why is BJT transition frequency important in high-frequency designs?

In high-frequency designs, the input signals have a high frequency and require fast amplification. The BJT transition frequency determines the maximum frequency that the transistor can effectively amplify without distortion, ensuring the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. How can the BJT transition frequency be improved for a high-frequency design?

To improve the BJT transition frequency, the physical dimensions of the transistor can be optimized, and the doping concentration can be increased. Operating the transistor at a lower temperature can also improve its performance at high frequencies. Additionally, using a biasing circuit and load impedance that match the BJT's characteristics can help improve its transition frequency.