Cheap fun with polarized light

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple yet impressive experiment for a quantum physics party involving polarized lenses. It suggests using polarized sunglasses, but also mentions using lenses from cheap calculators or purchasing specialized clip-ons. The experiment demonstrates the wave nature of light and can also show the duality of light as a particle. Various sources for obtaining the lenses are mentioned.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looking for ways to liven up your next quantum physics party? Shine a light through a polarized lens. Align and rotate a 2nd lens until the light intensity is reduced to 50%. Align and rotate a 3rd lens until the light intensity is reduced to 25%. Next ask your guests what will happen to the light intensity if you remove the 2nd lens. Have accomplice standing by with camcorder to record audience reaction when you remove the 2nd lens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice experiment. Where do you get such polarizer lenses (camera filters?) ?
A while ago I opened some cheap calculators and took the polarizers from the LCD.
Haven't tried your experiment though. Maybe I will show it to my brother and sister
and (hopefully) impress them :approve:

-Edgardo

Edgardo said:
A while ago I opened some cheap calculators and took the polarizers from the LCD.
Haven't tried your experiment though. Maybe I will show it to my brother and sister

-Edgardo

Polarized sunglasses will probably do. If people think of them as just dark filers it will probably add to the effect.

I bought 2 pairs of polarized clip-ons years ago for this exact experiment. Worked like a charm, and is a simple way to show the wave nature of light. A photo more or less demonstrates the particle nature of light, so that makes it easy to show the duality.

Edgardo said:

-Edgardo
http://www.anchoroptical.com/Products/Display.cfm?catid=267

Last edited by a moderator:

What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a specific direction. This results in a light wave that only vibrates in one plane, unlike ordinary light which vibrates in all directions.

How can polarized light be used for cheap fun activities?

There are many ways to have fun with polarized light that are inexpensive. Some examples include making polarized sunglasses, creating a homemade polarimeter, or using polarizing filters to view hidden images.

What materials are needed for cheap fun with polarized light?

The materials needed will depend on the specific activity, but some common items include polarizing filters, light sources such as flashlights or lasers, and everyday objects like CDs or 3D glasses.

What types of experiments can be done with polarized light?

There are endless experiments that can be done with polarized light, such as studying the properties of different materials, exploring the concept of light polarization, or creating optical illusions.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when playing with polarized light?

Yes, it is important to never look directly into a light source, especially lasers, as they can cause eye damage. It is also important to handle polarizing filters carefully to avoid scratches and to not leave them in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.