Electrical Resistivity Equation

In summary, the correct equation for relating electrical resistivity of a conducting material to its resistance is p = RS/l, where p is the resistivity, R is the resistance, S is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the specimen. To find the current in a copper wire with a potential difference of 1.5V, the resistance must be calculated using the formula R = pL/S. Then, Ohm's law can be used to find the current by dividing the potential difference by the resistance.
Matt.D
Is the correct equation that relates to the electrical resistivity of a conducting material to its resistance:

p = RS/l

p = is the electrical resistivity
R = is the resistance of the material
S = is the cross-sectional area
l = is the length of the specimen

if I'm using the right formula, would my answer to this question be correct?

A potential difference of 1.5V exists across the ends of a copper wire of length 2.0m and uniform radius 0.40mm. Calculate the current in the wire.

I've been given the resistivity of copper as 1.7 x 10^-4 ohms.meter

[Answer]

p = RS/l
= (1.7 x 10^-4) x 0.40mm / 2.0m
= 0.0007 x 0.0004 / 2.0
= 0.00000014

corecto?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt.D said:
Is the correct equation that relates to the electrical resistivity of a conducting material to its resistance:

p = RS/l

p = is the electrical resistivity
R = is the resistance of the material
S = is the cross-sectional area
l = is the length of the specimen
That's correct.

if I'm using the right formula, would my answer to this question be correct?
Only if you use it correctly!

p = RS/l
= (1.7 x 10^-4) x 0.40mm / 2.0m
= 0.0007 x 0.0004 / 2.0
= 0.00000014

Not correct. (If you checked the units of your calculation, you'd see that things don't match.)

First, you need to calculate the resistance (R) of that piece of copper wire, not the resistivity ([itex]\rho[/itex], which is a fixed property of copper). You are given the resistivity, not the resistance. Rearrange that formula as so:
[tex]R = \rho L / S[/tex]
Once you find the resistance, then you can use Ohm's law to find the current.

Thanks Doc!

Using the rearranged formula I've calculated:

R = pl/S

R = 0.0007 x 2.0 / 0.0004

R = 0.0014 / 0.0004

R = 3.5 Ohms

Using Ohms Law

I = V/R

I = 1.5V (as stated in the question) / 3.5 ohms

I = 0.42857..

I = 0.43

You are given the radius of the wire, not its cross-sectional area.

Thanks Gokul! I've really got to start reading questions more thoroughly.. I'm losing marks like this all of the time :rolleyes:

What is the electrical resistivity equation?

The electrical resistivity equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between electrical resistance, cross-sectional area, and length of a material. It is written as ρ = RA/L, where ρ is the resistivity, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length.

How is the electrical resistivity equation used in science?

The electrical resistivity equation is used in science to calculate the resistance of a material and determine its suitability for specific applications. It is also used to study the conductivity of different materials and their behavior under different conditions.

What factors affect the electrical resistivity of a material?

The electrical resistivity of a material is affected by its physical properties, such as temperature, composition, and structure. It is also influenced by the presence of impurities and defects in the material.

What are some common units used for electrical resistivity?

The most commonly used units for electrical resistivity are ohms (Ω) for resistance, meters (m) for length, and square meters (m²) for cross-sectional area. The resulting unit for resistivity is ohm-meters (Ω·m).

How is the electrical resistivity equation related to Ohm's Law?

The electrical resistivity equation is related to Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a material is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. The resistivity equation shows the inverse relationship between resistance and cross-sectional area, which is a key factor in Ohm's Law.