Effect of material size on magnetization

In summary: Answer: the same. In summary, the magnetic field strength is the same no matter how much material is cut in half.
Liam89
I'm a bit confused about the effect of the size of ferromagnetic material on the magnetic field it generates so I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

The saturation magnetization is given by
M = [itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex]*μ
but this suggests that the magnetization is independant of the size of the material, but since
B = μ0(H + M)
and since B fields add up vectorially this would suggest cutting a piece of ferromagnetic material in two would double the magnetic field, which doesn't make sense, so I was wondering what I was missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes sense is that magnetized material can be thought of as composed of elementary magnetic dipoles m packed together with uniform volume density, so the number Nm of such dipoles goes as r3 - the cube of linear dimensions of a sample of characteristic length r. You know I take it that the field strength of each dipole m drops off with distance as 1/r3. So guess what one finds when combining those two factors.

Liam89 said:
I'm a bit confused about the effect of the size of ferromagnetic material on the magnetic field it generates so I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

The saturation magnetization is given by
M = [itex]\frac{N}{V}[/itex]*μ
but this suggests that the magnetization is independant of the size of the material, but since
B = μ0(H + M)
and since B fields add up vectorially this would suggest cutting a piece of ferromagnetic material in two would double the magnetic field, which doesn't make sense, so I was wondering what I was missing?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

The formula shows that for a long (L >> R) electromagnet: B=μ0 N/L I.

Perhaps I can use this formula for your case and say that if the current remains the same but N increases, what will happen? As long as L also increases B will remain the same.
So now if I then separate this long electromagnet into 2 (still long) electromagnets, with the currents still the same value, how much is B for each separate coil? Well it’s the same as before.

An interesting thing is: what happens to the flux when I separate? Answer: since: φ = B x A, it looks like if we separate these coils far enough we have twice the amount of flux. How much is the total magnetic energy of the coils before and after separation? Answer: the same.

Question: what happened to the energy I needed to separate the coils?

1. How does material size affect magnetization?

The size of a material can greatly impact its magnetization. Generally, larger materials have a higher magnetization due to their increased number of magnetic domains. These domains align to create a stronger overall magnetic field. Smaller materials have fewer domains, leading to weaker magnetization.

2. What is the optimal material size for strong magnetization?

The optimal material size for strong magnetization can vary depending on the material and its properties. In general, larger materials tend to have higher magnetization. However, there are other factors such as the material's composition and structure that can also affect magnetization.

3. Can material size affect the direction of magnetization?

Yes, material size can affect the direction of magnetization. In larger materials, the magnetic domains tend to align in a specific direction, resulting in a strong and consistent magnetic field. In smaller materials, the domains may be randomly oriented, leading to a weaker and less consistent magnetic field.

4. How does changing the material size impact its magnetic properties?

Changing the material size can have a significant impact on its magnetic properties. As mentioned before, larger materials tend to have higher magnetization. However, decreasing the material size can also lead to changes in its coercivity and magnetic anisotropy, which can affect its overall magnetic strength and stability.

5. Is there a limit to how small a material can be while still maintaining magnetization?

There is no definite limit to how small a material can be while still maintaining magnetization. However, as the material size decreases, the number of magnetic domains also decreases, leading to a weaker magnetization. At a certain point, the material may become too small to have any significant magnetization. This limit can vary depending on the material's properties and the strength of the external magnetic field.