Chance of Becoming a Successful Physicist?

• Thread starter TARSIER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: If you're still interested, you should consider a community college. Ivy leagues colleges are way overrated.In summary, the author's grades and test scores are good, but course rigor is more important. The author is motivated to pursue a career in physics because they love the material, but whether or not he or she will be successful is unknown.
TARSIER
I've always been a nerd at my school, and have wondered about the universe and read some stuff on physics(not a lot though). I have a 3.8 GPA at a parochial school (95-100 A, 92-92 A-, 70 percent-Fail), got a 185 index on my PSAT, and a 30s range on my Pre ACT test, which is really nothing to brag about. I'm not that hard of a worker in school, for it is not really that challenging. I only work hard for personal interest(I work on a cherry farm and love to work, and I will be an Eagle Scout in the next few months). From what has been written here, my hopes of becoming a successful physicist have fell almost drastically. In school I am a Junior in High School and still haven't taken a Physics and I am in Trig right now(Applying to take AP Calc at the local community college for next year). I seriously could care less about money, because I am a pretty good saver, and my parents ahve sacrificed so that most of my college is payed for. What schools are open to me? Do I have any chance of becoming a successful physicist(Successful meaning-doing what I love and making enough money to care for my family). Do I have any chance of getting a job once I have the necessary education? Is there a need of physicists in the world? I see some people in this forum were bashed for caring more about money or prestige from being a physicist. Please do not bash me unless I really need it. If I do not meet the criteria, it may not deter me, I shall see later on. If you need a little more info i might be able to provide it. Thank you very much for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
stick to a community college...ivey leagues colleges are way overrated

1) High school numbers mean nothing after you get into a college. Absolutlely nothing after that. So giving those numbers, and asking what they mean about anything past undergrad work is pointless.

Your grades look good, but course rigor is more important. More important than grades are how difficult your classes are. Pretty much everyone applying into a mathematical science has had calculus by their senior year at the very latest. Not to say you can't do it without, but its a good idea to have it.

Personally, to me, the stuff you're listing its like you're trying to write an embellished resume and sell yourself--and maybe I'm the only person who thinks this--but doing that just smells like bs.

Again, your numbers are fine, but those aren't really necesarily the best indicators of performance. What matters with physics is that you lvoe the material--because there is really no other reason to go into it.

There is always a need for physicists. How do you think all those engineers know how to do anything?

Never give up. It is NEVER too late to start trying and caring more about your classes, if they aren't motivating you then try to think of the college that you want to go to, make THAT your motivation. Check out my thread about college admission, read that over and you will see some things that might be of help.

franznietzsche said:
1)

Personally, to me, the stuff you're listing its like you're trying to write an embellished resume and sell yourself--and maybe I'm the only person who thinks this--but doing that just smells like bs.

Your probably right. Thank you all very much for posting, you have helped me.

Tarsier

Anyway, a 3.8 cumulative GPA's good... I'm getting a 3.7 right now and want to go into Engineering... which I think is acceptable.
If you do not, however, get a chance to do Physics and think you're motivated and talented enough, you could tackle on the AP exam and get credit for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does it take to become a successful physicist?

Becoming a successful physicist requires a combination of hard work, dedication, and a strong foundation in mathematics and science. It also requires a passion for discovery and an ability to think critically and creatively.

2. Is a specific degree necessary to become a successful physicist?

While many physicists hold a PhD in physics or a related field, it is not necessary to have a specific degree to become successful in this field. What is more important is a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and the ability to apply them to real-world problems.

3. How important is research experience in becoming a successful physicist?

Research experience is essential for success in the field of physics. It allows you to gain practical skills and apply theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. It also helps you develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, which are crucial for success in any scientific field.

4. Can anyone become a successful physicist or is it a selective field?

While anyone with a passion for physics can become a physicist, it is a highly selective field. It requires a strong academic background, as well as the ability to think analytically and work independently. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can achieve success in this field.

5. What are some challenges that physicists face in their career?

One of the biggest challenges that physicists face is the constant need to keep up with new advancements and technologies in the field. This requires a lifelong commitment to learning and staying updated. Additionally, securing funding for research projects can also be a challenge, as well as balancing work-life commitments.