Converting volume elements to area elements

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate an integral of the form h(\vec{x}) = \int d^3\vec{x}' \frac{\delta(r' - R)}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|} using physical intuition and the divergence theorem. The use of a delta function in the integral is equivalent to calculating the electrostatic potential of a charged spherical shell, but the question is how to do this without relying on physical interpretation. The divergence theorem is suggested as a possible solution, where the volume integral can be converted to a surface integral over the boundary. However, the individual asking the question is unsure how to apply this theorem to their problem.
VantagePoint72

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate an integral of the form:

[itex]h(\vec{x}) = \int d^3\vec{x}' \frac{\delta(r' - R)}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex]

where [itex]r' = |\vec{x}'| = \sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The above, and maybe the fact that [itex]\delta(g(x)) = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x - x_i)}{|g'(x_i)|}[/itex] where [itex]x_i[/itex] are the roots of g.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the problem with some physical motivation as follows:

The given integral is the same as what you would do if you wanted to calculate the electrostatic potential of a charged spherical shell: [itex] V(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int d\tau' \frac{\rho(\vec{x}')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] where [itex]d\tau[/itex] is the volume element and [itex]\rho(\vec{x}') = \delta(r' - R)[/itex]. In this case, the delta function restricts the "charge density" rho to the surface of the shell. The same physical problem can be treated with the formula for the electrostatic potential of a surface charge distribution: [itex] V(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int da' \frac{\sigma(\vec{x}')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}[/itex] where [itex]da[/itex] is the area element and, in this case, we can take [itex]\sigma = 1[/itex]. This integral can now be computed straightforwardly in spherical coordinates, e.g. Griffiths "Introduction to Electrodynamics" example 2.7, yielding [itex]h(\vec{x}) = 4\pi R^2 / |\vec{x}|[/itex].

However, I would like to be able to do this calculation without having to use physical intuition to interpret a volume integral with a delta function as being equivalent to a surface integral without the delta function; that is, I just want to explicitly integrate out one of x,y, or z with the delta function and then go from there. How do I do this? I've tried using the equation I gave in (2), but it just produces a giant mess from which I don't know how to proceed.

I guess an equivalent question would be: given the expression above for the electrostatic potential of a volume distribution (which is really a surface dist.) of charge with [itex]\rho(\vec{x}) = \sigma \cdot \delta(f(\vec{x}))[/itex], how do you rigorously derive the expression for a surface distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you need the "divergence theorem":
[tex]\int\int_V\int \nabla\cdot \vec{f} dV= \int_S\int \vec{f}\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
where S is the surface bounding volume V.

Can you expand on that? I know what the divergence theorem is, but there are no divergences in this problem. My question isn't: "given an integral over a region, how do you convert it to an integral on the boundary"? It's: "given an integral over all space but over a delta function, how do you convert it to an integral without the delta function over the surface that the delta function restricts to?"

What is the difference between volume elements and area elements?

Volume elements refer to the individual units of measurement used to quantify the three-dimensional space occupied by an object or substance. Area elements, on the other hand, are the units of measurement used to quantify the two-dimensional surface of an object or substance.

Why is it necessary to convert volume elements to area elements?

In some scientific calculations, it is necessary to convert between volume and area elements in order to accurately measure and compare data. For example, when studying the growth of a plant, it may be necessary to convert the volume of soil to the surface area of the pot in order to determine nutrient levels.

How is the conversion from volume elements to area elements done?

The conversion from volume elements to area elements can be done using basic mathematical formulas. For example, the formula for finding the surface area of a cube is 6 * (side length)^2, where the side length represents the volume element. This can then be converted to area elements by dividing by the number of sides (6 in this case).

Can volume and area elements be compared directly?

No, volume and area elements cannot be directly compared as they represent different units of measurement. However, they can be converted to one another using mathematical formulas in order to make comparisons.

Are there any limitations to converting volume elements to area elements?

While mathematical formulas can be used to convert between volume and area elements, it is important to note that these conversions may not always be accurate due to factors such as irregular shapes or variations in density. It is always best to confirm the accuracy of conversions through experimental data.