Using Fourier to solve a problem.

• Thread starter JoeBart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, JoeBart is trying to solve a problem involving the calculation of Fourier coefficients, but is having difficulty due to a lack of understanding of the equation. vela suggests checking out a tutorial online, and berkeman says that the subject is quite popular and that he would be sure to find many helpful examples.
JoeBart
I've been kicking this around for a few days. I know I'm overlooking something simple it has been a long time since I've had to do this. I'm trying to sketch the output in the time domain of a 1 kHz square wave passing through a communication channel whose bandwidth is 0 to 10 kHz.

I'm trying to apply: f(t) = Ao/2 + A1 cos ωt + A2 cos 2ωt + B2 sin 2ωt + ...

I'm just looking for direction here I believe I'm on the wrong track as I can't wrap my head around the equation without a known voltage.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey JoeBart,

If your link doesn't have any phase shift and an infinite attenuation at 10kHz, then you can truncate your Fourier series at the 9th term. However, in real life each harmonic will be slightly phased out, and the attenuation will not be infinite.

Here is what I have.

Attachments

• square.png
    square.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 471
jfgobin,

Thank you!
This is what I expected to see. having been away for so long I'm having trouble solving the equation or putting the values in the correct places. I can visualize the output, but fail miserably at the math. I guess I'm looking for a little tutoring on the equation it self.

Start by looking up the formulas for the Fourier coefficients.

vela,

This is where it all falls apart for me. The text I'm working from mentions An and Bn as being real-number coefficients, but never explains how to find them. I'm trying to teach myself how to take the information from the original problem and plug it into the Fourier series. After 22 years it's like learning to read hieroglyphs. I can see how the 3 filters mentioned in the problem affect the waveform, in my head, based on which harmonics are being attenuated. I would like to do this mathematically.

JoeBart said:
vela,

This is where it all falls apart for me. The text I'm working from mentions An and Bn as being real-number coefficients, but never explains how to find them. I'm trying to teach myself how to take the information from the original problem and plug it into the Fourier series. After 22 years it's like learning to read hieroglyphs. I can see how the 3 filters mentioned in the problem affect the waveform, in my head, based on which harmonics are being attenuated. I would like to do this mathematically.

A good place to start to help refresh your memory is to do a Google Images search on Square Wave Spectrum. Then click on one of the simpler figures, and read the associated text at the website. You should be able to see how the coefficients of the harmonics roll off for an ideal square wave...

JoeBart said:
I'd check out another text then. Also, as Berkeman said, googling is a good thing to try. Fourier series is a popular subject, so you'll probably run across many good tutorials on it and worked examples, probably a much easier read than your textbook.

Thank you all for the guidance. I've already collected some great info from your suggestions.

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical method used to decompose a complex function into simpler trigonometric functions. It is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of science and engineering to analyze and understand the frequency components of a given signal or function.

2. How is Fourier analysis used to solve problems?

Fourier analysis can be used to solve a wide range of problems by breaking down a complex function into simpler components that are easier to analyze and manipulate. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying patterns and characteristics of the function, which can then be used to develop solutions or make predictions.

3. What types of problems can be solved using Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis can be applied to a variety of problems in different fields, including signal processing, image analysis, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving periodic functions, such as sound waves and electromagnetic signals.

4. What are some common techniques used in Fourier analysis?

Some common techniques used in Fourier analysis include the Fourier transform, which converts a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain, and the inverse Fourier transform, which performs the opposite conversion. Other techniques include Fourier series, which represents a periodic function as a sum of trigonometric functions, and the discrete Fourier transform, which is used to analyze discrete data sets.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier analysis to solve problems?

While Fourier analysis is a powerful tool for solving many problems, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be applicable to functions that are not periodic or do not have well-defined frequency components. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the sampling rate and the length of the data set being analyzed.