Flash vaporization balance - ODEs, deviation variables, linearization

In summary: V. I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an ordinary differential equation to describe the dynamic height of a flash tank in terms of various variables. The process is assumed to be isenthalpic, and the equation is simplified to eliminate one of the variables. A nonlinear ordinary differential equation is then developed and is solved using steady state conditions, deviation variables, and linearization.
halycos

Homework Statement

Given the attached figure,

a) Develop an ordinary differential equation that describes the dynamic height h(t) in the flash tank in terms of [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex], [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex],[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex], and A.

b) Given the fact that the process is isenthalpic, eliminate [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex] from the equation in part (a).

c) Develop a nonlinear ordinary differential equation assuming [itex]\dot{m}_{l}=C_{v}\sqrt{h(t)}[/itex]. Simplify as much as possible.

If the operating limit, [itex]\Delta[/itex], is 10 cm. What is the maximal change in [itex]\dot{m}_i[/itex], so steady state is reached before the operating limit is reached?

d) Determine the above using steady state conditions, deviation variables, and linearization.
Values are given for the following variables: [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_i, T_{in}, P_{in}, T_{out}, P_{out}, 1-(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l), A, \rho_l, C_v [/itex]

e) Solve the nonlinear DE, and compare with (d)

Homework Equations

[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{acc}[/itex]

[itex]m= \rho V = \rho Ah(t)[/itex]

For isenthalpic processes, mass fraction vaporized = [itex]Y= (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Were told to include the effect of vapor mass to the height of the vessel liquid, so the equation for a should be

[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{l}Ah(t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\rho_l A}([/itex] [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex])

For (b), given specific enthalpies, then [itex]\dot{m}_v=Y\dot{m}_i = Y= \dot{m}_i (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex].

My issues start at (c). I'm able to find the following equation

[itex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}+C_v \sqrt{h(t)}/\rho _l A = [m_i(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)]/ \rho _l A[/itex]

The only thing I see that I can simplify is saying that the mass fraction of liquid left unvaporized is [itex]1-(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex]. Otherwise, I don't see any way of reducing it further. Also, there are no temperature or pressure dependencies, and I am given values for these at steady state to use for parts (d) and (e). I don't even know how to apply the deviation variables without these dependencies.
If anybody can offer some input, I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• FVV.jpg
    FVV.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! As a fellow scientist, I would like to offer my thoughts on your solution attempt.

Firstly, I would like to point out that your equation for (a) is incorrect. The equation should be:

\dot{m}_{i}-\dot{m}_{l}-\dot{m}_{v}=\frac{d}{dt}(\rho_l Ah(t))

This is because the dynamic height, h(t), is changing over time and needs to be included in the derivative.

For (b), you are correct in saying that for isenthalpic processes, the mass fraction vaporized can be calculated using Y= (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l). However, to eliminate \dot{m}_v, you need to use the fact that the process is isenthalpic, which means that the total enthalpy is constant. This can be written as:

\dot{m}_i(H_i)+\dot{m}_l(H_l)+\dot{m}_v(H_v)=constant

Since we know that Y= (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l), we can substitute this into the equation and solve for \dot{m}_v, giving us:

\dot{m}_v=\dot{m}_i(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)-\dot{m}_l

Substituting this into our equation from (a), we get:

\dot{m}_i-\dot{m}_l-(\dot{m}_i(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)-\dot{m}_l)=\frac{d}{dt}(\rho_l Ah(t))

Simplifying this, we get:

\frac{d}{dt}(\rho_l Ah(t))=\dot{m}_i(H_l-H_i)/(H_v-H_l)

For (c), you are on the right track. However, keep in mind that the mass fraction of liquid left unvaporized is not 1-(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l), but rather 1-Y. So our equation becomes:

\frac{d}{dt}(\rho_l Ah(t))+C_v\sqrt{h(t)}=\dot{m}_i(1-Y)/(\rho_l A)

To simplify this further, you can substitute Y= (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l) and use the fact that \rho_l= \dot

1. What is flash vaporization balance?

Flash vaporization balance is a mathematical model used in thermodynamics to describe the behavior of a liquid-vapor mixture that is suddenly exposed to a lower pressure, causing it to vaporize. It takes into account the mass and energy balance of the system in order to determine the final equilibrium state of the mixture.

2. What are ODEs in the context of flash vaporization balance?

ODEs stands for ordinary differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe how a variable changes over time. In the context of flash vaporization balance, ODEs are used to model the rate of change of mass and energy within the system as it transitions from liquid to vapor.

3. What are deviation variables in flash vaporization balance?

Deviation variables are a way of representing the state of the system in relation to its equilibrium state. They are used in flash vaporization balance to simplify the ODEs and make them easier to solve, by removing the need to constantly refer to the equilibrium state.

4. Why is linearization used in flash vaporization balance?

Linearization is a mathematical technique used to approximate a nonlinear system by using a linear model. In flash vaporization balance, this is useful because it allows for simpler and more efficient calculations of the ODEs, making it easier to analyze the behavior of the system.

5. How is flash vaporization balance used in real-world applications?

Flash vaporization balance has various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of industrial processes involving vapor-liquid separation, such as distillation and evaporation. It is also used in the analysis of geothermal systems, where hot water from underground reservoirs is brought to the surface and experiences a sudden decrease in pressure, causing it to flash into steam.