Tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam

In summary, the mass of the beam (95kg/m) and the tension in the cable (1.7488KN) create a resultant force of 25.43KN at the pin at A.
adlewis90
I have tried to complete the following question by taking moments about point A, but to no avail. Could anybody help me with where i am going wrong. Do I need to include perpendicular distance?

The I-beam A-B shown below is supported by a cable at B and a pin at A. The cable is inclined at an angle, θ = 21° to the longitudinal axis of the beam. The beam supports a load, m, of 12 kN at a distance mx = 1.5 m from B.

example_zpsed2967d3.png

If the mass of the beam is 95 kg/m and its total weight can be assumed to act through the centre of gravity of the beam, calculate:

a) the cable tension, T

b) the resultant force acting on the pin at A.

Given:

Ax = 0.12 m, Beam Depth, D = 0.5 m, Beam Length, L = 5 m, Gravity, g = 9.81 m/s2

Part a)

Weight of beam = 4.65975 kN

By taking moments about A, T = 26.09±0.2 kN

Part b)

To determine the resultant at A, calculate the horizontal and vertical reactions AH and AV respectively:

AH = 24.36±0.2 kN

AV = 7.31±0.2 kN

Therefore, the resultant (using Pythagoras), R = 25.43±0.2 kN
Incorrect

Here is my solution to the cable tension

(4.88)(T)(sin21)+(111.834x0.06)-(4.5479x10^3)(2.44)-(12x10^3)(3.38)=0

1.7488(T)=+6.7098+11.0968x10^3+40.56x10^3

1.7488(T)=51650.0902

(T)= (51.65x10^3)/1.7488 =29.53kn

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried to complete the following question by taking moments about point A, but to no avail. Could anybody help me with where i am going wrong. Do I need to include perpendicular distance?
You need to show your working. i.e. how did you compute the moments?
It helps to do the algebra with the variables first and then plug the numbers in.
If you didn't take into account the beam "depth" D, you should give that a try.
Use the model answer to clue you into how far out you are.

Last edited:
Sorted the question before looking on here, was simply solved by extending the length of the cable to where it intersected the centreline of the beam and using this point in the x-axis as the distance. Thanks for your help

1. What is tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam?

Tension is a force that is exerted on a cable when it is used to support a hinged beam. It is a pulling force that acts in the direction of the cable and is responsible for keeping the beam in place.

2. Why is tension important in a cable supporting a hinged beam?

Tension is important because it balances out the weight of the beam and any additional loads that may be placed on it. Without tension, the beam would not be able to stay in place and could potentially collapse.

3. How is tension calculated in a cable supporting a hinged beam?

Tension is calculated by using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is tension, m is the mass of the beam, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the beam caused by any additional loads.

4. How does the angle of the cable affect tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam?

The angle of the cable can affect tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam by changing the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the cable. A larger angle will result in a greater tension force, while a smaller angle will result in a smaller tension force.

5. What are the factors that can influence tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam?

The factors that can influence tension in a cable supporting a hinged beam include the weight of the beam, the angle of the cable, the type of material used for the cable, and any additional loads placed on the beam.