Phasor Addition Simplify 5cos(wot+90°)+5cos(wot-30°)+5cos(wot-120°): Solve

In summary, the expression 5cos(wot+90°)+5cos(wot-30°)+5cos(wot-120°) simplifies to Acos(cos+Ø) with a magnitude of 7.07 and an angle of -14.999°. The error in converting to Cartesian was corrected.
noname1
simplfy 5cos(wot+90°)+5cos(wot-30°)+5cos(wot-120°) to form Acos(cos+Ø)

i did it this way
5cos(wt) = 5e^j0 = 5+J0
5cos(wot-30°) = 5e^-j30° = 5*(√3/2)+J5/2
5cos(wot-120°) = 5e^-j120° = -5/2*(√3/2)+J5*(√3/2)

i have only done partially the problem just missing to add them up however when i look up the solutions this portion where i convert it to Cartesian it doesn't match the solutions but i quite positive i am right, could anyone confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
noname1 said:
simplfy 5cos(wot+90°)+5cos(wot-30°)+5cos(wot-120°) to form Acos(cos+Ø)

i did it this way
5cos(wt) = 5e^j0 = 5+J0
5cos(wot-30°) = 5e^-j30° = 5*(√3/2)+J5/2
5cos(wot-120°) = 5e^-j120° = -5/2*(√3/2)+J5*(√3/2)

i have only done partially the problem just missing to add them up however when i look up the solutions this portion where i convert it to Cartesian it doesn't match the solutions but i quite positive i am right, could anyone confirm?

I think the part in red needs to be changed; it should be:

-5/2 - j5*(√3/2)

The Electrician said:
I think the part in red needs to be changed; it should be:

-5/2 - j5*(√3/2)

yes that is correct it was a typo but the rest looks correct right?

than adding these up 5+5*√(3)/2-(5/2) = 6.83
j0+j5/2-j5√(3)/2 = -j1.83

than magnitude would be √6.83²+1.83² = 7.07
and tan^-1 = (-1.83/6.83) = -14.999° = -.08pi

nevermind i found the issue but thanks

Yes, your approach and calculations seem correct. However, it would be helpful to see the full solution and compare it to the given solution to confirm if there are any errors or differences. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the purpose of phasor addition?

Phasor addition is used to simplify complex sinusoidal functions and analyze their behavior, such as determining amplitudes, frequencies, and phase shifts.

2. How do you solve for phasor addition?

To solve for phasor addition, you must first convert all sinusoidal functions into phasor form by replacing the cosine function with its corresponding phasor (i.e. cos(wt) = Re{e^(jwt)}). Then, add all the phasors together and convert the resulting phasor back into a sinusoidal function.

3. What is the difference between polar and rectangular form in phasor addition?

Polar form represents the magnitude and phase angle of a phasor, while rectangular form represents the real and imaginary components of a phasor. Both forms can be used to simplify phasor addition, but polar form is often preferred for its visual representation of magnitude and phase.

4. Can you simplify a phasor addition with different frequencies?

No, phasor addition can only be simplified when all the sinusoidal functions have the same frequency. If the frequencies are different, the phasors will not be aligned and cannot be added together.

5. What is the significance of the phase angle in phasor addition?

The phase angle represents the amount of phase shift of a sinusoidal function. In phasor addition, the phase angles of each phasor are added together, resulting in the overall phase shift of the simplified function.