Active and Passive rotations

• Thread starter Gabriel Maia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotations
In summary: This is what is going on in your example with the matrices Û_{S} and R^{C}_{A} . The first represents the "active transformation" and the second represents the "passive transformation".
Gabriel Maia
Hi This is the problem... I'm reading a paper where the author says

Transformation between the laboratory and spherical frames can be represented by the product of two rotations through the angles θ and [itex]\varphi[/itex], Û[itex]_{S}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{R}[/itex][itex]_{y}[/itex](θ)[itex]\hat{R}[/itex][itex]_{z}[/itex]([itex]\varphi[/itex]):

|E>[itex]_{S}[/itex]=Û[itex]_{S}[/itex]|E>[itex]_{L}[/itex].

The matrix Û[itex]_{S}[/itex] is

Û[itex]_{S}[/itex] = [itex] \left[\begin{matrix} \cosθ\cos\varphi & \cosθ\sin\varphi & -\sinθ \\ -\sin\varphi & \cos\varphi & 0 \\ \sinθ\cos\varphi & \sinθ\sin\varphi & \cosθ \end{matrix}\right][/itex]

Now... I was trying to understand this transformation from cartesian laboratory coordinates to spherical ones and I've obtained something similar but not the same. What I did was a concatenation of two rotations. First I considered a point p with projection q on the xy-plane. Then I rotated the frame about the z axis by [itex]\varphi[/itex] (counterclock-wise) obtaining a second frame. This second frame has its x-axis aligned to the projection q. Finally I rotated the second frame about the y-axis by θ, aligning the z-axis of the third frame with the direction of p. Let's the original frame be called A, the second B and the third C. The matrix I used to go from A to B is

R[itex]^{B}_{A}[/itex]=[itex] \left[\begin{matrix} \cos\varphi & -\sin\varphi & 0 \\ \sin\varphi & \cos\varphi & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right][/itex]

And to go from B to C

R[itex]^{C}_{B}[/itex]=[itex] \left[\begin{matrix} \cos\theta & 0 & \sin\theta \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\-\sin\theta & 0 & \cos\theta \end{matrix}\right][/itex]

So, the matrix which takes us from A to C is

R[itex]^{C}_{A}[/itex] = R[itex]^{B}_{A}[/itex]*R[itex]^{C}_{B}[/itex] = R[itex]^{C}_{B}[/itex]=[itex] \left[\begin{matrix} \cos\theta\cos\varphi & -\sin\varphi & \sin\theta\cos\varphi \\ cos\theta\sin\varphi & \cos\varphi & \sin\theta\sin\varphi \\-\sin\theta & 0 & \cos\theta \end{matrix}\right][/itex]

This matrix is the transpose of Û[itex]_{S}[/itex] so my doubt is what is going on? I expected the to be the same. I know that active and passive transformations have matrices that are the transpose of one another but I'm failing to see which case is which here.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things to check here:
- Which convention is used: R * v or vT * R ?
- Do the matrices represent the rotation of the local system relative to lab system or the coordiante transformation from the lab system to the local system ?

Gabriel Maia said:
So, the matrix which takes us from A to C is

R[itex]^{C}_{A}[/itex] = R[itex]^{B}_{A}[/itex]*R[itex]^{C}_{B}[/itex] = R[itex]^{C}_{B}[/itex]=[itex] \left[\begin{matrix} \cos\theta\cos\varphi & -\sin\varphi & \sin\theta\cos\varphi \\ cos\theta\sin\varphi & \cos\varphi & \sin\theta\sin\varphi \\-\sin\theta & 0 & \cos\theta \end{matrix}\right][/itex]
You've fallen prey to the "active transformation versus passive transformation" trap. I personally am not thrilled with those two terms. "Active transformation" versus "passive transformation": what does that mean? I use the terms "rotation" and "transformation" instead. Admittedly this doesn't helps that much. With my nomenclature, there's a "rotation versus transformation" trap into which the uninitiated can be lured. "Rotation" versus "transformation": what does that mean?

So, whether it's active transformation vs passive transformation or rotation vs transformation, what exactly do those terms mean?

Active transformation, which I call rotation, answers the question "Suppose I have some vector quantity ##\vec q## and I physically rotate it about some axis by some angle. Where does that vector point now?" Note that only one coordinate system is involved in this question. Passive transformation, which I just call transformation, answers the question "Suppose I have two coordinate systems U and V with a common origin. What is the relationship between the representation of some vector quantity ##\vec q## in frame U versus it's representation in frame V?"

These two questions are closely related. With the first question, you can "actively transform" the x, y, and z axes and create a rotated reference frame. Now you can answer the second question using this new frame. With the second question, you can ask about the relation between the representations of x, y, and z axes in the two frames. This is equivalent to an "active transformation" or "rotation".

The relationship between the two concepts is that the same matrix represents the "active transformation" that rotates frame U to form frame V and the "passive transformation" that transforms a vector expressed in frame V to frame U are the same matrix. Another way to look at it: The matrix that represents the "passive transformation" from frame U to frame V is the transpose of the matrix that represents the "active transformation" that rotates frame U to form frame V.

What is the difference between active and passive rotations?

Active rotations refer to movements around a fixed axis, where the body part being rotated is actively controlled by the muscles. Passive rotations, on the other hand, involve moving the body part around a fixed axis without any muscle activation.

How do active and passive rotations affect joint mobility?

Active rotations can help improve joint mobility by strengthening and stretching the muscles around the joint. Passive rotations, however, do not have a direct impact on joint mobility as they do not involve muscle activation.

What are some examples of active and passive rotations?

Examples of active rotations include movements like shoulder presses, bicep curls, and leg extensions, where the muscles are actively contracting to move the joint. Passive rotations can be seen in activities like stretching, where the body is being moved by an external force.

Can active and passive rotations be used for rehabilitation?

Yes, active and passive rotations can both be used for rehabilitation purposes. Active rotations can help strengthen muscles and improve joint mobility, while passive rotations can help gently move the joint without causing further injury.

What precautions should be taken when performing active and passive rotations?

It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise routine, including active and passive rotations. Proper form and technique should also be followed to prevent injury. If any pain or discomfort is experienced, the activity should be stopped immediately.