What is the recommended maximum deflection for a bicycle frame test using FEA?

In summary, the group is having difficulty determining the maximum allowable vertical deflection for a bicycle frame. They are using a 1.5 mm criterion to start, but would like to know if their value should be modified based on expertise in this particular vertical deflection load case.
An1MuS
I'm working on a group project where we test a bicycle frame on ABAQUS.

The test is as follow

mEy4ro1.jpg

Where F is a static load. It was suggested for us to consider it as 4G*120kg to simulate a laboratory test. We're having a hard time knowing what is the maximum deflection (or stifness) we should allow.

I can't find any tests like this, or websites where i could get that information. Does anyone have any idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google 'bicycle frame analysis' and you will get many suggestions and references.

I did and i won't get any of use for this case, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

An1MuS: I currently would guess the vertical deflection in your above frame test will be quite low, perhaps less than 2 mm. I currently would guess, initially use 1.5 mm as your current maximum allowable vertical deflection criterion, and see how it goes. My current guess for the range of good values would be 0.15 to 1.5 mm (?). I.e., in this current guess, the maximum allowable vertical deflection would be ymax = 1.5 mm.

And then if someone with expertise in this particular vertical deflection load case sees this thread, then they could advise whether my guessed maximum allowable vertical deflection value (ymax), or allowable deflection range, should be modified.

How would the 1.5 mm criterion, or the proposed range I stated above (0.15 to 1.5 mm), compare to some of your current deflection results? Also, you could, e.g., make your frame like a good, existing frame, and then see what vertical deflection value you obtain. And then post the results, so we can start comparing it to the proposed deflection criterion, to see if we are in the correct ball park. Do this for a good, known, stiff frame, to establish the lower allowable deflection (ymin) bound. Then do it again for a good, known, very flexible frame, to establish the upper allowable deflection (ymax) bound.

Last edited:
http://www.justinreina.com/portfolio/ME%20354%20-%20Bicycle%20lab.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is FEA and how is it used in bicycle frame analysis?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis. It is a computerized method used to analyze the structural integrity of a design by dividing it into smaller, more manageable parts called finite elements. In bicycle frame analysis, FEA is used to simulate the stress and strain on the frame under different loads and conditions.

2. What are the benefits of using FEA for bicycle frame analysis?

FEA allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the frame compared to traditional methods. It can also save time and resources by identifying potential design flaws early on in the design process. Additionally, FEA can help optimize the frame's performance and durability by testing different design variations.

3. What are the limitations of FEA in bicycle frame analysis?

FEA relies on the accuracy of the input data, such as material properties and boundary conditions. If these inputs are not accurate, the results of the analysis may not be reliable. FEA also requires specialized software and expertise, which can be costly for smaller companies or individual designers.

4. How does FEA account for real-world factors in bicycle frame analysis?

FEA takes into account various real-world factors such as material properties, loads, and boundary conditions to simulate the actual behavior of the frame. It can also incorporate non-linear effects, such as plastic deformation and contact with other components, to provide more accurate results.

5. Can FEA be used to analyze other components of a bicycle?

Yes, FEA can be used to analyze various components of a bicycle, such as the fork, wheels, and handlebars. It can also be used to analyze the entire bike as a system, considering the interaction between different components. FEA is a versatile tool that can be applied to different engineering problems in various industries.