Helical conical compression spring design

In summary, the designer is trying to figure out the pre-compressed geometry for a round wire cross-section compression spring. They are not sure if material properties come into play, but they believe they will for the compression force required.
jstluise
I am designing a constant pitch, helical conical compression spring (round wire cross section) that will be compressed into a final desired shape. So my issue at hand is figuring out the pre-compressed geometry that will give me my desired final geometry once compressed.

The compression will be accomplished by longitudinal tension lines (fixed at each point on the spring for constant pitch), so the spring should not be torqued at all when compressed. As opposed to keeping the two end orientations fixed when compressing.

I have a spring I've been playing with, and my observations are that when the spring is compressed (with no torque), the number of turns decreases and the diameter of each turn increased.

I've been unsuccessful so far in finding equations to help me figure this out...

Final Shape, Known:
Dmin - small diameter, bottom of spring
Dmax - large diameter, top of spring
N - number of turns
h - height
L - total arc length, function of other variables, remains constant

Uncompressed Shape:
Dmin0 - Unknown
Dmax0 - Unknown
N0 - Unknown
h0 - Known, based on the compression I want (~50%)
L0 = L

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm not sure if material properties come into play...I know they will for the compression force required, but I don't know about the geometry.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The formula for conical springs is based on ordinary compression springs ie for each turn on the conical spring
here are some formula :-the rate for each individual turn or
fraction of a turn = k=Gd^4/(8*D^3*Na)

total rate k for a complete spring
of different diameter turns = k= 1/((1/k1)+(1/k2)etc)To calculate stress in the wire the mean diameter of the
largest active coil is used at the required load ie:-

S= 8*P*D*Kw/(3.142*d^3)

The solid height of a conical spring of a uniform taper but not telescoping, with squared and ground ends can estimated

La=Na*(d^2-u^2)^0.5 + 2d

where G= modulus of rigidity of material
d= wire dia
D= mean coil diameter
Na = number of active turns
k = spring stiffness
S = stress
P= spring load
La= solid height of spring
u = o.d of large coil - o.d. of small coil/(2*Na)
Kw1= (4*C-1/(4*C+1))+ 0.615/C
C = mean dia of largest coil/ wire diameter

Thanks for the response, but that is not quite what I am after. Basically I am looking for an equation for angular deflection due to axial loading (ie change in height) with both ends free to rotate.

I'll focus my search on finding it for a regular (non-conical) compression spring, then I can separate my conical spring into several compression springs in series. My taper angle is pretty low, so that should give me a good approximation.

1. What is a helical conical compression spring?

A helical conical compression spring is a type of mechanical spring that is designed in a conical shape with coils that are tightly wound together. It is used to store and release energy when force is applied to it.

2. How is the design of a helical conical compression spring determined?

The design of a helical conical compression spring is determined by various factors such as the required load, deflection, and material properties. The dimensions of the spring, including the wire diameter, coil diameter, and pitch, are calculated using mathematical equations based on these factors.

3. What are the advantages of using a helical conical compression spring?

Helical conical compression springs offer several advantages, including a higher load capacity and longer fatigue life compared to other types of springs. They also have a smaller solid height, which makes them ideal for applications with limited space.

4. What materials are commonly used in the design of helical conical compression springs?

The choice of material for a helical conical compression spring depends on the application requirements. Some common materials used include steel, stainless steel, and titanium. The material selection also depends on factors such as corrosion resistance, temperature range, and cost.

5. Are there any design considerations for helical conical compression springs?

Yes, there are several design considerations for helical conical compression springs, including the number of active coils, the end type (closed or open), and the spring rate. It is also important to consider the type of loading (static or dynamic) and the expected operating conditions to ensure the spring is designed to perform effectively and safely.