Quark-Gloun plasma thermodynamics

In summary, the author found a method to calculate the thermodynamic distribution for the quark-Gluon plasma using the Boltzmann distribution and found that it is a good approximation at the energy of the QGP.
Mordred
I know that fermions and bosons can thermodynamics can be calculated via the Fermi-dirac or Bose_Einstein distributions, However I've been having difficulty finding the EoS (Equation of state) and thermodynamic distribution metrics for the quark-Gluon plasma. So far I have the following considerations

For a gluon, there are 2 helicity states and 8 choices of color so we have a total degeneracy of
gb= 16. For each quark flavor, there are 3 colors, 2 spin states, and 2 charge
states (corresponding to quarks and antiquarks) +3 active flavors.

However I'm not sure what metrics to use as neither the fermi-dirac or Bose_Einstein distributions seem to apply. Preference on the metrics to describe as an ideal gas, as well as the appropriate Cosmology EoS forms if possible.

My background knowledge of particle physics is mainly Introduction to particle physics by Griffith, However I have the Fermion and Boson thermodynamic forms from Scott Dodelson's Modern Cosmology and particle physics of the early universe By Uwe-Jens Wiese

http://www.wiese.itp.unibe.ch/lectures/universe.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that, at the energy at which we reproduce the QGP, you can just safely use the Boltzmann distribution.

That hit it thank you very much found numerous links by googling Boltzmann distribution of Quark-Gluon plasma. In this article it defines quarks by the Boltzmann distribution and the gluon via the Bose-Einstein distribution

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0607328v1.pdf

It sounds reasonable. Gluons (like photons) are not ordinary particle since their number is not conserved, i.e. gluons/photons can be easily emitted/adsorbed and this is deeply quantum mechanical. Therefore its pretty natural that they don't follow the ordinary classical Boltzmann equation.

ya several of the papers I looked at have the same distribution functions on each, all of them are Arxiv papers. So I can be fairly confident that the methodology is correct and accepted. Thanks again

edit: the material along with my collection of articles is sufficient to complete my self study of the thermodynamic history of the Universe. So I'm happy

Last edited:

1. What is quark-gluon plasma (QGP)?

Quark-gluon plasma is a state of matter that existed in the very early universe, just microseconds after the Big Bang. It is a hot, dense mixture of quarks and gluons, the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons. In this state, these particles are no longer bound together and are free to move around.

2. How is QGP created in the laboratory?

QGP can be created in the laboratory by smashing together heavy ions, such as gold or lead, at extremely high energies. This causes the temperature and density to increase, resulting in the breakdown of the strong force that holds quarks and gluons together, creating a QGP state.

3. What thermodynamic properties can be measured in QGP?

Some of the key thermodynamic properties that can be measured in QGP include temperature, pressure, energy density, and entropy density. These properties provide important insights into the behavior of QGP and its evolution.

4. What is the significance of QGP in understanding the early universe?

Studying QGP can provide valuable information about the conditions of the early universe. By recreating the extreme temperatures and densities that existed just after the Big Bang, scientists can better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of the universe.

5. How is the behavior of QGP related to the strong force?

The strong force is responsible for holding quarks and gluons together to form particles such as protons and neutrons. In QGP, the strong force is temporarily broken, allowing for the free movement of these particles. Studying the behavior of QGP can provide insights into the nature of the strong force and its role in the structure of matter.