The Mystery of Door Hinge Longevity: How Do They Last So Long?

In summary, the conversation discusses the longevity of door hinges and the reasons why they do not wear away easily. The force applied to the hinges, which is mainly gravity and torque when opening the door, is not strong enough to cause significant wear. Additionally, the small hinge pin diameter and infrequent use also contribute to the hinges' durability. Some people also oil the hinges to prevent the creaking sound.
oneamp
The door hinges inside my place are pretty old; I'd guess a few decades though I don't have any way of knowing for sure. I do have experience with metal on metal rubbing and degradation. So I wonder, why can door hinges open and close for a long time, and not wear away? I don't think I've ever seen a door hinge that was worn. It seems like just a little bit of wear would result in the door not opening as smoothly as it should.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What direction is the force applied? think gravity then add the torque for when the door is opened. The wear will be top down, with slight spreading depending on the hinge style on a pin hinge the wear is usually on the pin. Just makes the hinge looser.

But doors do not open in a way that evenly wears the entire hinge surface. So a pit should develop.

The hinge pin has a small diameter so the friction surface velocity is very low. The contact surfaces remain covered so abrasive dust is unlikely to enter. The hinge is usually operated rarely, and slowly, over less than 90°.

The hinge pin needs to support someone occasionally swinging on the door. It is therefore more robust than is needed just to support the door.

And some people may oil door hinges so you don't get that creaaaaaaking sound like in a horror movie.

1. How long do door hinges typically last?

The lifespan of a door hinge can vary depending on the type of hinge, usage, and maintenance. On average, a door hinge can last anywhere from 10-25 years.

2. What factors contribute to the longevity of door hinges?

Several factors can contribute to the longevity of door hinges, including the quality of materials used, proper installation, regular maintenance, and the amount of weight and stress put on the hinges.

3. Can door hinges be repaired or do they need to be replaced?

In most cases, door hinges can be repaired if they become loose or squeaky. However, if the hinges are damaged or worn beyond repair, they will need to be replaced.

4. How can I prolong the life of my door hinges?

To prolong the life of your door hinges, it is important to keep them clean and well-lubricated. Regularly check for any loose screws and tighten them as needed. Avoid slamming or putting excessive weight on the door, as this can put strain on the hinges.

5. Are there any special maintenance tips for different types of door hinges?

Yes, different types of door hinges may require different maintenance techniques. For example, brass hinges may need to be polished regularly, while stainless steel hinges can benefit from a rust-preventative spray. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for specific maintenance tips for your type of door hinge.