Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners

In summary, for someone with little formal training, it is recommended to start with a calculus book and then move on to a book on classical mechanics. "Feynman's Lectures on Physics" is also highly recommended for its clear explanation of physical principles without heavy mathematics.
11thD45
Interesting Physics Books

I'm still new to physics in general and I was wondering if any of you could tell me some good books to read about physics for someone with little formal training. I have already read both of brian greene's books, hyperspace, and Einstiens cosmos. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brian Greene is a terrible introduction to physics; most pop science books are.

I'd recommend starting with a calculus book then picking up a book on classical mechanics so that you see what physics is actually like.

There is a forum for books on here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

From what I have read on there, it seems as if the "Feynman's Lectures on Physics" books are recommended for people looking for a solid explanation of physical principles without being bogged down by the mathematics.

1. What is the purpose of "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners"?

The purpose of "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners" is to introduce the fundamental concepts and principles of physics to those who are new to the subject. It aims to make the complex ideas of physics more accessible and understandable for beginners through clear explanations and real-world examples.

2. Who is the target audience for "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners"?

The target audience for "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners" is anyone who is interested in learning about physics, regardless of their background or level of knowledge. It is particularly useful for students or individuals who are new to the subject and are looking for a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to physics.

3. What topics are covered in "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners"?

"Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners" covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also includes discussions on the history of physics and its impact on our understanding of the world.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners"?

No, there are no prerequisites for reading "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners". The book is designed for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of math, such as algebra and geometry, may be helpful for better comprehension.

5. Is "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Uncovering Physics: Books for Beginners" is suitable for self-study. The book is written in a clear and concise manner, with plenty of examples and practice questions to help readers reinforce their understanding. It also includes answers and explanations for the practice questions, making it a self-contained learning resource.