Mystery Light: Can Anyone Explain What I Saw in the Sky?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, a person saw a bright light in the sky that grew in size and brightness before disappearing within 10 seconds. It was too bright to be an aircraft and lacked the sweeping motion of a police helicopter's searchlight. The person considered it could have been a meteor, multiple high-intensity landing lights on an aircraft, or a planet such as Venus. Another person suggested it could have been a metallic object in space causing a short burst of light.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I just saw a light in the sky that I can't explain, and I was wondering if you could help at all.

At approx 11:30 pm (British summer time) I noticed what seemed to be a very bright star in the west, reasonably low in the sky (perhaps 30-40 degrees from the horizon). The light grew for a few seconds, becoming brighter and larger than any star I've ever seen, before diminishing into what looked like an ordinary star, and then nothing. The whole thing took no more than 10 seconds.

It was too bright to be an aircraft, and lacked the sweping motion of the police helicopter's searchlight, plus i was unable to see any flashing aircraft lights afterwards.

Can anyone suggest what I might have seen?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It might not have been too bright to be an aircraft if you consider multiple high-intensity landing lights that are close enough together to appear as a single source. If the plane were to climb or dive while still heading toward you, they would appear to dim and then disappear.
It could also have been a meteor that was heading directly toward you before burning out (in which case it's a bloody good thing that it disappeared).

Feel your neck. Any bumps or sores?

Just kidding. I really don't know what it could have been.

Danger said:
It could also have been a meteor that was heading directly toward you before burning out (in which case it's a bloody good thing that it disappeared).

I think that's a pretty good guess. That fits his description perfectly.

Matt,

Depending on how far north you are and how far west you are in your time zone, it could simply have been the planet Venus with some fancy atmospheric scintillation. Venus would have been in the west and close to the horizon at that time.

Do you have daylight savings time in England?

Danger said:
It might not have been too bright to be an aircraft if you consider multiple high-intensity landing lights that are close enough together to appear as a single source. If the plane were to climb or dive while still heading toward you, they would appear to dim and then disappear.

Both good points, thanks. I'd considered aircraft light briefly, but the meteor I hadn't thought of. Do aircraft always have their landing lights on, or do they switch on when close to the ground? I'd worry severely if an aircraft were trying to land in these parts.

Tide said:
Matt,

Depending on how far north you are and how far west you are in your time zone, it could simply have been the planet Venus with some fancy atmospheric scintillation. Venus would have been in the west and close to the horizon at that time.

Do you have daylight savings time in England?

we do have daylight savings. It would have been 10:30pm Greenwich mean time. I've marked my position on this map with a red dot half way up Britain's east coast. Would that be about right to see Venus there?

eumap_gmt.jpg

Matt,

No, I just ran Stellarium and 10:30 is too late to see Venus. However, Arcturus (mag. = -0.3) is in that region of the sky at about 25 deg north of west and 10 to 25 deg above the horizon depending on the exact time.

I'm not sure. I've looked up atmospheric scintillation briefly, and found that it causes twinkling, but the source (wikipedia) doesn't explain how a sustained flash of such magnitude could be produced; I mean this was seriously bright. Has it been known to cause such flashes in the past?
I think Arcturus is unlikely, being that it is quite a bright star, and the light source disappeared after the flash, even though I could still see other stars.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on astrology, as the subject is pretty new to me.

matthyaouw said:
Forgive my lack of knowledge on astrology, as the subject is pretty new to me.
:eek: :bugeye:

Forgive my shock. Aircraft do not normally keep their landing lights on while in normal flight, but occassionally a pilot will simply forget to turn them off or for some reason wants more visibility to others than his beacons provide. (Such as to alert oncoming craft who request it.)

Last edited:
Ology, onomy, same thing (alright not the same thing, but you knew what I meant) :P

If the effect was as dramatic as you describe, it couldn't have been atmospheric scintillation. I would put my money on something of human origin, though a meteor is possible as well.

matthyaouw said:
I just saw a light in the sky that I can't explain, and I was wondering if you could help at all.

At approx 11:30 pm (British summer time) I noticed what seemed to be a very bright star in the west, reasonably low in the sky (perhaps 30-40 degrees from the horizon). The light grew for a few seconds, becoming brighter and larger than any star I've ever seen, before diminishing into what looked like an ordinary star, and then nothing. The whole thing took no more than 10 seconds.

It was too bright to be an aircraft, and lacked the sweping motion of the police helicopter's searchlight, plus i was unable to see any flashing aircraft lights afterwards.

Can anyone suggest what I might have seen?

There can be an increase glare from:http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/viewsighting.cgi?Aberdeen.html

due to your position with respect to ISS, the time of the glare would obviously depend on the Sun?

This does not correspond to your time, but there are other metalic objects up there that can create short burts of light?

Last edited:
I checked for any objects here: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html

There were a few at about the right time and direction, so one of those could have been it. I didn't notice any movement to it, but you still could be right.

I'm off away for a few days, so don't think I'm being rude and ignoring any subsequent replies. I'll look into the satellites more when I return.

Matt,

Here's a another possibility. One summer long ago I was sitting out on a beautiful clear night watching the Perseid meteor shower. I happened to have a pair of binoculars with me and, for a while, I was looking through them and examining the region of the sky within the constellation Perseus.

While I was looking I was astonished to see a light suddenly flash on and grow VERY bright over the course of a few seconds and then it faded out fairly quickly. What I had seen was a meteor whose velocity was directed straight toward me! I just happened to be looking at the radiant of the Perseids when one popped out.

What you saw sounds a lot like what I had observed.

I can't be sure 100%, but it looks like you saw an Iridium flare. I've seen them on many occasions. Normally you have to know where and when to look as they only last a few seconds. You can see a list of flares (always up to date) at http://www.heavens-above.com/

I like the flare interpretation. A very plausible explanation that fits.

I've never heard of that flare bit before. Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out once in a while.

It sounds like an Iridium flare to me. I've seen one before and that is exactly what it looked like, although as far as I know they wouldn't occur that late at night.

I've just checked the database, and there was an iridium flare at that time, in roughly the right direction and height that I was looking at. That is most likely what it was. Thanks everyone!

1. What is the most likely explanation for the mystery light in the sky?

The most likely explanation for the mystery light in the sky is a natural phenomenon or human-made object. It could be a meteor, satellite, or aircraft. It is also possible that it is a rare atmospheric phenomenon such as ball lightning or a mirage.

2. Could the mystery light be extraterrestrial in origin?

While it is always a possibility, there is currently no concrete evidence to suggest that the mystery light is of extraterrestrial origin. It is important to consider all possible explanations before jumping to this conclusion.

3. How can I determine the source of the mystery light?

To determine the source of the mystery light, you can gather more information such as the location, time, and direction of the sighting. You can also consult with experts and analyze any available footage or images of the event. It may also be helpful to rule out any known natural or human-made objects that could have caused the light.

4. Is it common for people to see mystery lights in the sky?

Yes, it is not uncommon for people to see mysterious lights in the sky. Many of these sightings can be explained by natural or human-made sources. However, some remain unexplained and continue to spark curiosity and speculation.

5. How can I report a sighting of a mystery light in the sky?

If you have witnessed a mystery light in the sky and would like to report it, you can do so through various organizations such as the National UFO Reporting Center or Mutual UFO Network. You can also report it to local authorities or share your experience with online communities dedicated to investigating and discussing mysterious sightings.