Roller coaster loop conservation of energy?

In summary: Thanks!I can try to take a look at it, but I'm not an expert on electric charges. I'm more of a physics person. In summary, the car of mass 1500 kg will experience a downward force of 900 N when it is upside down at the top of the loop.
Seiya
A roller coaster car of mass 1500 kg starts a distance H = 25 m above the bottom of a loop 15 m in diameter (Figure 7-24). If friction is negligible, find the downward force of the rails on the car when it is upside down at the top of the loop.

Uhm iwell i figured out the KE and the PE at the 15m height of the loop... and then i tried calculating the centripital force using F=(mv^2)R ... but i can't figure out how to get the downard force of the rails on the car? :(

Any hints? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How much of the centripetal force will be provided by gravity? How much more centripetal force than that does it need?

provided by gravity will be mg... ill think about it a bit more...

---

dammit when i ask such stupid questions i feel really stupid :P

so easy...FN+mg=mV^2/R

thats it.. :(

Last edited:
Not easy, hard. Physics is hard. It only seems to be easy after the fact.

Physics is not hard.
If anything, they try to make things simpler than in any other science... so much assuming happens, such as: "there is no air resistance", and "there is no friction", and "it is a perfect circle".

We're not living in a utopia! Imagine if all that was taken into account in the homework questions, then physics could be called hard.

I know I also post questions in this forum, I'm not some "genius", but overall as long as you take the time to learn the concept, nothing is hard.

Of course some questions will be tricky, but that happens in any subject.

Just had to comment :smile:

dekoi said:
Physics is not hard.
If anything, they try to make things simpler than in any other science... so much assuming happens, such as: "there is no air resistance", and "there is no friction", and "it is a perfect circle".

We're not living in a utopia! Imagine if all that was taken into account in the homework questions, then physics could be called hard.

I stick with my statement. Physics is hard. That's why we (teachers at the intro level) try our hardest at making things as simple as possible. I'm glad you think it is easy.:smile: Go with it. For some people it always makes the most perfect sense. FOr some people it is the easiest class they ever took in high school (it was for me). But I am here to tell with with several years of experience as a HS teacher, that some very very smart people simple do not understand what is going on. Most people do not study physics, and of those who do, most people will tell you how hard it is.

You are a high school teacher?

I'm actually in university right now, my program is Physics and its Applications (Physics/Astronomy/Math), and I am going to be a high school teacher also.

Where I live in Ontario there is a high demand for Physics/Math teachers right now-- I'm not really sure why. Maybe not many people want to do it?
Do you mind taking a look at my electric charges question? I don't understand why nobody's replying to it. Surely someone in this forum must know how to solve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a roller coaster loop conserve energy?

A roller coaster loop conserves energy by converting potential energy, or the energy of position, into kinetic energy, or the energy of motion. As the roller coaster climbs the first hill, it gains potential energy. This energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the coaster speeds down the hill and through the loop. The loop's shape is designed to maintain the coaster's speed and conserve its energy throughout the ride.

2. Can a roller coaster loop run out of energy?

No, a roller coaster loop cannot run out of energy as long as the coaster maintains enough speed and momentum. The loop is designed to conserve the coaster's energy by keeping it moving at a constant speed. However, if the coaster loses too much speed, it may not have enough energy to make it through the loop and could get stuck or come to a stop.

3. How does a roller coaster loop affect the ride experience?

A roller coaster loop adds an element of excitement and thrill to the ride experience. As the coaster speeds through the loop, riders experience a brief moment of weightlessness and intense G-forces, which can be both scary and exhilarating. The loop also adds variety to the ride and keeps riders engaged and entertained.

4. What happens if a roller coaster gets stuck in the loop?

If a roller coaster gets stuck in the loop, it is likely due to a loss of speed and energy. In this situation, the coaster may come to a stop or begin to roll backwards. Roller coasters are designed with multiple safety systems in place to prevent this from happening, such as anti-rollback mechanisms and emergency brakes. In the rare event that a coaster does get stuck, trained staff will safely evacuate the riders.

5. Can a roller coaster loop be too tall?

Yes, a roller coaster loop can be too tall if it exceeds the coaster's maximum speed and energy capacity. If a loop is too tall, the coaster may not have enough speed and momentum to make it through the loop and could get stuck or come to a stop. Roller coaster designers carefully consider the coaster's speed and energy when designing loops to ensure a safe and thrilling ride experience.