Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the Heat Surge "Amish-made" fireplace is a 1500 watt electric heater that is just a fancy cabinet. It sells for up to $587.00, but can be bought for less at Walmart. It is perfect for any house, but is only rated for 5110 BTU's. The targeted consumer is probably elderly or shut-ins, and the heater is not very efficient.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Heat Surge "Amish-made" fireplace

We were already using all electric heat in this house. With the Roll-n-Glow Fireplace, I believe we still saved money last winter. In a very short time the room heats to the comfort wanted, quietly and cheaper! It's paid for itself already!

Rolls Anywhere
Slash Heat Bills
Christmas Rush Forces Household
Limit of 2
Only Uses about 8¢ Electricity an Hour on standard setting
Heat Surge Miracle Heaters Given Away Free with Order of Handmade Amish Fireplace Mantle
http://www.heatsurgetv.com/

Essentially anywhere there's an outlet you can place a Roll-n-Glow electric fireplace. Perfect for any house, apartment, condo, dorm, mobile home, cottage, office, hotel, or garage
http://www.heatsurge.com/images/cherry-07.jpg [Broken]
http://www.heatsurge.com/

The problem? These sell for up to $587.00 but are just a 1500 watt electric heater plus the fancy "Amish-made" cabinet.

A 1500 watt electric heater like this sells at Walmart for less than $14.00

0002983779257_215X215.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7768641

Note that the Heat Surge cited maximum of 5110 BTUs, is just 1498 watts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

the first one looks warmer. and it's pretty.

the targeted consumer is probably shut-ins/elderly. :|

No one knows more about electric devices than the Amish.

Heat Surge is an established company with millions of satisfied customers whose focus is to exceed customer expectations.

To accomplish this, along with other successful methods, we’ve set up a Web site to share the facts about our company at http://heatsurge.wordpress.com to address any questions or concerns you may have.

Chris Pugh
Heat Surge

Last edited:

True or false: You can get the same amount of heat from a $15 electric heater from Walmart?

Ivan Seeking said:
True or false: You can get the same amount of heat from a $15 electric heater from Walmart?
Yes, but this one does also raise barns for you

Last edited:

Looks like you hooked a troll Ivan.

Wooow. 5000 BTU's? That's a lot of BTUs...isn't it? That a lot of thousands of BTU thingies.

Taking advantage of the general public's stupidity is obviously a viable business practice still. This goes right up there with marketing 2 HP shop vacs for 110V use.

If I were dead set on giving there website a hit, I'd love to see what the cabinets are made out of. Do the Amish raise particle board barns now a days?

Proton Soup said:
the first one looks warmer. and it's pretty.

the targeted consumer is probably shut-ins/elderly. :|

I was just about to say I liked it. :redface:
I feel old. :frown:

Denton said:
No one knows more about electric devices than the Amish.

:rofl:

I won't even bother checking the web-site. I've seen their print ads and they are just a bunch of scammers, fleecing the ignorant. In our area, electricity is by far the most expensive way to heat a house and the climate is such that 5000 BTU would be like throwing a hot-dog to a hungry lion.

Edit: How do you get a "heat surge" out of a cheap 5000 btu resistive heater? The name itself is ridiculous.

I had one like this for the bathroom at my old house. It was from Home Depot.

It was basically decorative, but it's also a space heater.

Attachments

• elec fireplace.jpg
    elec fireplace.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 455

I could get more heat by dragging out my tube amp and playing guitar for a while. All those tubes throw a bit of heat. I used to own a Peavey Classic 30 that got really hot - like the old Vox amps, it was a single-ended design that was dissipating power at max even when it was idling. At least I would be getting the side-benefit of guitar practice.

Cheezy marketing for sure, but spot heating most certainly does save energy.

With the price, though, buying it for looks is the better bet.

russ_watters said:
Cheezy marketing for sure, but spot heating most certainly does save energy.

It might be fair to sell it as a decorative item, but zone heating can be accomplished using any 1500 watt [electric] heater. If the intent is to save money, the last thing one needs is a fancy $200-$500+ cabinet enclosing an otherwise cheap heater.

Last edited:

FredGarvin said:
This goes right up there with marketing 2 HP shop vacs for 110V use.

These rating are often obtained by increasing the voltage to the motor until the point that it self-destructs. The power rating is obtained just before it bursts into flames, or smokes. That is the "peak HP".

Last edited:

FredGarvin said:
This goes right up there with marketing 2 HP shop vacs for 110V use.
I just bought a 300W UPS that is also labeled 650VA

mgb_phys said:
Wow! Isn't the 2-gauge power cable a bit stiff?

I was mainly wondering what shape the sine wave output would have to be for that to add up.

I don't need no steenkin' heat surge. I'll just plug in my wife's hair dryer and point it at my feet to warm up.

mgb_phys said:
I was mainly wondering what shape the sine wave output would have to be for that to add up.

We can guess...

300W should be the output rating (why not in VA?). 650VA could be the peak VA requirements during line drop-out conditions.

I can't wait for summer when I can by my Amish Frost Bite richy appointed in shimmering icicles.

FredGarvin said:
Taking advantage of the general public's stupidity is obviously a viable business practice still. This goes right up there with marketing 2 HP shop vacs for 110V use.
I must be missing something here. 2 HP is 1660 W, assuming a 90% efficient motor (and assuming that a 2hp motor actually provides 2 HP when attached to a vacuum cleaner - there is no reason to expect that it must). That's easily within the range of a household circuit.

mgb_phys said:
Hmm - that seems pretty common. Wonder what tha's about.

russ_watters said:
I must be missing something here. 2 HP is 1660 W, assuming a 90% efficient motor (and assuming that a 2hp motor actually provides 2 HP when attached to a vacuum cleaner - there is no reason to expect that it must). That's easily within the range of a household circuit.

(1660W/0.9)/110V = 16.75A aren't 110V circuits 15A in the US?

mgb_phys said:
(1660W/0.9)/110V = 16.75A aren't 110V circuits 15A in the US?

Not only that, many so called 2 HP vacs are only rated at 6-10 amps, at 110VAC. [I did time in a vacuum store while in college].

I think I've seen the 2HP Peak rating on motors that use as little as 4.5 amps, at 110VAC.

Last edited:

FredGarvin said:

Electrical service, outlets and power cords are rated in amps. The common household outlet is 15 amps. It could be fused for less. 117V*15A > 2HP.

Motors are rated in HP and duty. It could be still be a 10 HP shop vac rated at 100% duty, if their were such animals, and be fine running off a household outlet. The pump just can't load the motor over 2HP--for very long.

i think 15A is a common breaker size now for wall outlet circuits. in the past, larger size fuses may have been used. few enough and large enough to be fire hazards.

wall outlets in an actual "shop" in a commercial building may be another story, though. do we have an electrician in the house?

From CTV British Columbia

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080924/BC_olsen_amish_smart_photo_080924?hub=BritishColumbiaVideo" [Broken]

"---despite the headline --these heaters are not made by the Amish: they're made in China. If you read the ad carefully, you realize that only the wood mantle is made by Amish craftsmen."

I'm outraged. I want my electronics made by Amish, and my woodwork done in China.

Phrak said:
I'm outraged. I want my electronics made by Amish, and my woodwork done in China.
Me, too. And I want the UL labels to be counterfeited by Native American printing shops.

Phrak said:
Motors are rated in HP and duty. It could be still be a 10 HP shop vac rated at 100% duty, if their were such animals, and be fine running off a household outlet. The pump just can't load the motor over 2HP--for very long.

It is still meaningless if they don't cite the voltage at which the peak HP is reached.

Also, to be rated for 10 HP, the plate rated maximum current would be exceedingly high [on the order of 70 amps], which you never see.

10 HP on a 120V residential circuit? Let go of my leg, scammer!

Greg Bernhardt said:
The video on the website is just flat out ridiculous.

Note that in the video at heatsurgetv, they state: "Don't be fooled by glorified space heaters".

Those would be the ones that sell for $14 to $50, or so, and produce just as much heat.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.heatsurgetv.com/

http://www.heatsurge.com/images/cherry-07.jpg [Broken]
http://www.heatsurge.com/

The problem? These sell for up to $587.00 but are just a 1500 watt electric heater plus the fancy "Amish-made" cabinet.

A 1500 watt electric heater like this sells at Walmart for less than $14.00

0002983779257_215X215.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7768641

Note that the Heat Surge cited maximum of 5110 BTUs, is just 1498 watts.

The two products aren't comparable. Walmart is selling a heater, strictly designed for that function. On the other hand, this amish company is selling a furniture piece, and oh yeah it can also heat your house. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would pay $500 for a hand-crafted amish cabnet without the heater.

maze said:
The two products aren't comparable. Walmart is selling a heater, strictly designed for that function. On the other hand, this amish company is selling a furniture piece, and oh yeah it can also heat your house. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would pay $500 for a hand-crafted amish cabnet without the heater.

The point is:

We were already using all electric heat in this house. With the Roll-n-Glow Fireplace, I believe we still saved money last winter. In a very short time the room heats to the comfort wanted, quietly and cheaper! It's paid for itself already!

Rolls Anywhere
Slash Heat Bills
Christmas Rush Forces Household
Limit of 2
Only Uses about 8¢ Electricity an Hour on standard setting

As I said, it may be fair to sell it as a decorative item. But if one wants to save money, this is not the way to go. You will get the same cost benefit by zone heating with any 1500 watt electric heater. The fact that they state, "Don't be fooled by glorified space heaters" while showing photos of inexpensive heaters that provide just as much heat, is extremely misleading. Fooled? How is one being fooled? Who is fooling whom?

Ivan Seeking said:
"Don't be fooled by glorified space heaters" while showing photos of inexpensive heaters that provide just as much heat, is extremely misleading.

That is an interesting piece of datum. I'll have to listen for it. It begs the question:

"How can a blatantly contrafactual statement, such as that, be good advertising?"

Billy Mase (oxyclean and other stuff) has a voice like fingernails on a blackboard, yet his voice is good advertising. Is there a connection?

Ivan Seeking said:
These rating are often obtained by increasing the voltage to the motor until the point that it self-destructs. The power rating is obtained just before it bursts into flames, or smokes. That is the "peak HP".
That is my point. They are not rated for continuous power which the average person would assume it is. While 2 HP is just under the limit for a standard 15A service, I don't know of many homes that have a completely free circuit to plug into. You pull 2HP through a 15A circuit, you'll blow the breaker.

<h2>1. What is a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace?</h2><p>A Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is a type of electric fireplace that is handcrafted by Amish craftsmen using traditional methods and materials. It is designed to replicate the look and feel of a traditional wood-burning fireplace without the need for a chimney or gas line.</p><h2>2. How does a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace work?</h2><p>A Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace uses a combination of infrared heating technology and a patented fireless flame technology to produce heat and the appearance of a real fire. The infrared heat is emitted from a heating element and is absorbed by objects in the room, providing warmth similar to the heat produced by the sun.</p><h2>3. Is a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace energy-efficient?</h2><p>Yes, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is energy-efficient. It uses less energy than a traditional wood-burning fireplace or gas fireplace, as it does not require any fuel to operate. Additionally, the infrared heat produced by the fireplace is directed towards objects in the room, rather than being wasted in the air, making it more efficient.</p><h2>4. Are there any safety concerns with a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace?</h2><p>No, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is designed with safety in mind. It does not produce any real flames, so there is no risk of sparks or fire hazards. Additionally, the exterior of the fireplace remains cool to the touch, making it safe for children and pets.</p><h2>5. Can a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace be used in any room?</h2><p>Yes, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace can be used in any room as long as there is an electrical outlet available. It is a great option for adding supplemental heat to a living room, bedroom, or even an office. However, it is not recommended for use in bathrooms or other areas with high levels of moisture.</p>

1. What is a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace?

A Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is a type of electric fireplace that is handcrafted by Amish craftsmen using traditional methods and materials. It is designed to replicate the look and feel of a traditional wood-burning fireplace without the need for a chimney or gas line.

2. How does a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace work?

A Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace uses a combination of infrared heating technology and a patented fireless flame technology to produce heat and the appearance of a real fire. The infrared heat is emitted from a heating element and is absorbed by objects in the room, providing warmth similar to the heat produced by the sun.

3. Is a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace energy-efficient?

Yes, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is energy-efficient. It uses less energy than a traditional wood-burning fireplace or gas fireplace, as it does not require any fuel to operate. Additionally, the infrared heat produced by the fireplace is directed towards objects in the room, rather than being wasted in the air, making it more efficient.

4. Are there any safety concerns with a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace?

No, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace is designed with safety in mind. It does not produce any real flames, so there is no risk of sparks or fire hazards. Additionally, the exterior of the fireplace remains cool to the touch, making it safe for children and pets.

5. Can a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace be used in any room?

Yes, a Heat Surge Amish-made fireplace can be used in any room as long as there is an electrical outlet available. It is a great option for adding supplemental heat to a living room, bedroom, or even an office. However, it is not recommended for use in bathrooms or other areas with high levels of moisture.

Back