Which engineering field is in high demand?

In summary, Melissa is seeking advice on which engineering course to pursue, but is discouraged by the lack of job prospects for Electrical/Electronics engineering. However, she has received reassurance from multiple engineers that there is a high demand for EEs, especially in areas like Silicon Valley. She is also considering the potential for job growth in the future. Melissa is hopeful for further insights and guidance in her decision.
melissa97
I need to make my choice soon on which engineering course I want to apply for. Civil is out of the question because my scholarship doesn't allow Civil and I don't know why. I wanted to choose Electrical/Electronics but I've been hearing people saying there's no market for it and after learning about electromagnetism and circuits, I don't quite fancy the topics. I did some research and so far not so helpful. I'm hopeful someone would enlighten me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
melissa97 said:
I need to make my choice soon on which engineering course I want to apply for. Civil is out of the question because my scholarship doesn't allow Civil and I don't know why. I wanted to choose Electrical/Electronics but I've been hearing people saying there's no market for it and after learning about electromagnetism and circuits, I don't quite fancy the topics. I did some research and so far not so helpful. I'm hopeful someone would enlighten me. Thank you.

Hi Melissa. You may want to check out http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm. Many types of engineers are in demand, and you will probably be best served by pursuing whatever field you are more interested in or passionate about. Mechanical engineering is probably the most generic and will open doors in aerospace and automotive industries (among others). Chemical engineering is very specific but starting salaries are highest for chemical engineers. There are also a variety of careers that require any engineering degree and don't care what particular flavor it is.

You may want to investigate the entry level job options in engineering. There are many rotational programs at larger companies such as Intel, GE, Raytheon, etc, that give engineers exposure to a variety of roles early on. Check out the requirements for those programs at companies you may be interested in working for.

With an engineering degree you will also have options in industries such as management and finance. You may or may not want to broaden your search and check out what other industries are looking for in candidates as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
melissa97, I'm an electrical engineer, and work in Silicon Valley in California. There is a tremendous market for electrical and computer engineers, at least out here. I don't know what the job market is like in your preferred geographic area, but I think you've heard wrong about the general market for EEs.

- Warren

chroot said:
melissa97, I'm an electrical engineer, and work in Silicon Valley in California. There is a tremendous market for electrical and computer engineers, at least out here. I don't know what the job market is like in your preferred geographic area, but I think you've heard wrong about the general market for EEs.

- Warren

Its pretty much the same story in australia. Engineers get snapped up very very quickly because a lot of people don't pick engineering here.

chroot said:

- Warren

Do you know if the demand would be decreasing anytime soon? How about 5-6 years from now?

thrill3rnit3 said:
Do you know if the demand would be decreasing anytime soon? How about 5-6 years from now?

EE is one of the most widely applicable disciplines. Almost every product made today involves some amount of electrical engineering. I can't imagine any catalyst in the next 5-6 years that would reduce demand for such products. I personally do not see any reason to expect a decrease in demand for EEs in my lifetime.

By the way, EE (and Silicon Valley in general) has shown enormous resistance to the global recession. In my opinion, this speaks very highly of the industry and its security.

- Warren

I could possibly see an increase in demand. The difference between electronics and other goods is that electronics are moving forward so fast and companies like this because that means more sales for each generation of product/electronic. It is kind of neat.

I don't know I'm still in high school,but I know a thing or two about electronics. I could be wrong, but it is a solid point. Eventually the novelty of new electronics will level out, but we are still a ways off from that.

chroot said:
EE is one of the most widely applicable disciplines. Almost every product made today involves some amount of electrical engineering. I can't imagine any catalyst in the next 5-6 years that would reduce demand for such products. I personally do not see any reason to expect a decrease in demand for EEs in my lifetime.

By the way, EE (and Silicon Valley in general) has shown enormous resistance to the global recession. In my opinion, this speaks very highly of the industry and its security.

- Warren

Do you know if applied mathematicians are being hired in silicon valley? I think that's what I'm going to pursue when I get to college.

Silicon Valley will probably continually expand into the future. However, Eventually a lot of the work will start to spread out around the USA. Then it won't just be Silicon Valley it will be the Silicon Nation :P

^ Silicon India is more like it than Silicon USA, don't you think?

avant-garde said:
^ Silicon India is more like it than Silicon USA, don't you think?

True... I am just being optimistic ;)

Well, as an 18 year old applying to colleges and thinking about majors, I wouldn't place too much weight on that opinion lol

melissa97 said:

blackffff

What are the current high demand engineering fields?

The current high demand engineering fields are software engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and chemical engineering.

What factors contribute to the demand for certain engineering fields?

The demand for engineering fields is influenced by various factors such as technological advancements, economic growth, government investments, and societal needs.

How can I determine which engineering field is in high demand?

You can research job market trends, read industry reports, and talk to professionals in the field to determine which engineering field is in high demand.

Is it better to choose an engineering field based on demand or personal interest?

It is important to consider both demand and personal interest when choosing an engineering field. While a high demand field may offer more job opportunities, it is also important to choose a field that aligns with your skills and interests for long-term satisfaction.

What are the potential job opportunities in high demand engineering fields?

Potential job opportunities in high demand engineering fields include positions in research and development, design and manufacturing, project management, and consulting. These fields also offer opportunities for growth and advancement in various industries.