Calculating Terminal Voltage of Batteries with Opposing Currents

In summary, the task is to determine the terminal voltage in each battery (18V and 12V) in a circuit with a total resistance of 6.6 ohms and opposing battery currents. Using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, the currents can be found (I = 0.625). Then, using the equation Vab=emf-Ir, the terminal voltage for each battery can be calculated, taking into account the direction of current flow and the polarity of the voltage drops across the internal resistors. It is helpful to sketch the circuit and label the current and voltage polarities to ensure correct calculation.
pb23me

Homework Statement

determine the terminal voltage in each battery.
Emf1=18V
r1=1 ohm
EMF2=12V
r2=2 ohm
R=6.6 ohms
also the batterys currents are opposing each other.

Homework Equations

Vab=emf-Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

i used kirchnoffs rule to find the current I , 18-I6.6-12-I2-I=0 and got I= .625 then i thought i would just use Vab=emf-Ir to find the terminal voltage of each battery however I am not getting the correct answer... could someone please explain this to me i have a test tomorrow morning and i really need to figure this out! the answers i got were 17.375 for the 18V batt and 10.75 for the 12V batt

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Watch out for the current direction and the thus the polarity of the voltage drop it creates on the internal resistors. If current is being forced into a battery's positive terminal it's possible for it to have a higher terminal voltage than its internal EMF.

so on the larger voltage batt would i use equation Vab=Emf-Ir = 18-(.625*1) and on the batt with voltage being forced across it use Vab=Emf+... idk

what are the equations you would use in this situation?

pb23me said:
so on the larger voltage batt would i use equation Vab=Emf-Ir = 18-(.625*1) and on the batt with voltage being forced across it use Vab=Emf+... idk

Yes. It can be helpful to sketch in your current and the polarities of the voltage drops across the resistors. You did fine writing the KVL loop equation.

Attachments

• Loop1.jpg
    Loop1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 340

What is the terminal voltage of a battery?

The terminal voltage of a battery is the potential difference between its positive and negative terminals. It is the measure of the battery's ability to produce an electric current.

How is the terminal voltage of a battery calculated?

The terminal voltage of a battery can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In the case of a battery with opposing currents, the formula is V = E - Ir, where E is the electromotive force and Ir is the voltage drop due to the internal resistance of the battery.

What are opposing currents in a battery?

Opposing currents in a battery refer to the flow of electrons in opposite directions within the battery. In a battery, the positive terminal has an excess of electrons, and the negative terminal has a deficit of electrons. When the battery is connected in a circuit, the electrons will flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating an opposing current.

How does internal resistance affect the terminal voltage of a battery?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a battery due to the materials it is made of. This resistance causes a voltage drop, meaning that the actual terminal voltage of the battery will be lower than its nominal voltage. The higher the internal resistance, the lower the terminal voltage will be.

What factors can affect the terminal voltage of a battery with opposing currents?

Some factors that can affect the terminal voltage of a battery with opposing currents include the type of battery, its age, and its internal resistance. Temperature can also play a role, as extreme temperatures can affect the chemical reactions within the battery and alter its voltage. Additionally, the load on the battery, or the amount of current being drawn from it, can also impact the terminal voltage.