Average speeds of back and forth trip

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the average speed of the trip from San Antonio to Houston is 72.5 km/h and the average speed of the return trip from Houston to San Antonio is 55 km/h. The average speed of the whole trip is 68.27586 km/h.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

You drive on Interstate 10 from San Antonio to Houston. Half the time at 55 km/h, and the other half at 90 km/h. On the way back, you travel half the distance at 55 km/h and the other half at 90km/h.

What is the average speed of the trip from San Antonio to Houston?
What is the average speed of the return trip from Houston to San Antonio?
What is the average speed of the whole trip?

The Attempt at a Solution

From San Antonio to Houston, half the time is traveled between the two speeds.

So:

d / (1/2)(d/55) + (1/2)(d/90)
68.27586 km/h average speed.

From Houston to San Antonio, half the distance is traveled at each speed.

((1/2)55t + (1/2)90t) / t
=(1/2)55 + (1/2)90
=
72.5 average speed.

My book seems to have the two answers reversed. Did I do these correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

You drive on Interstate 10 from San Antonio to Houston. Half the time at 55 km/h, and the other half at 90 km/h. On the way back, you travel half the distance at 55 km/h and the other half at 90km/h.

What is the average speed of the trip from San Antonio to Houston?
What is the average speed of the return trip from Houston to San Antonio?
What is the average speed of the whole trip?

The Attempt at a Solution

From San Antonio to Houston, half the time is traveled between the two speeds.

So:

d / (1/2)(d/55) + (1/2)(d/90)
68.27586 km/h average speed.

From Houston to San Antonio, half the distance is traveled at each speed.

((1/2)55t + (1/2)90t) / t
=(1/2)55 + (1/2)90
=
72.5 average speed.My book seems to have the two answers reversed. Did I do these correctly?

You said, "From San Antonio to Houston, half the time is traveled between the two speeds."

I added the extra -- necessary -- parentheses in the following.
d / ((1/2)(d/55) + (1/2)(d/90))
What is (d/2)/55 ? ... It's the time required to travel a distance d/2 at a speed of 55...
etc ...

d/(total time) is average speed.

So this is not the case of: "half the time is traveled between the two speeds".

I am not sure what you are saying..

Does my work not agree with total distance / total time? Why are you telling me that?

Also, why isn't it a case of traveling half the time at each speed? That's explicitly what the problem says.

1MileCrash said:

Also, why isn't it a case of traveling half the time at each speed? That's explicitly what the problem says.

Because d/2 is half the distance !

So you are finding the time for half the distance at 55 + half the distance at 90.

Now I'm really confused. If time is (d/r), (1/2)(d/r) or (d/2r) is half of the time is it not??

Wait, I think I'm starting to get it. d/r is the time spent traveling d at r, so half of it is not half of the total time, only half of the time spent traveling d at r.

Thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the average speed of a back and forth trip?

The average speed of a back and forth trip is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if a round trip covers a total distance of 100 miles and takes a total of 2 hours, the average speed would be 50 miles per hour.

2. How do you calculate the total distance traveled?

The total distance traveled is calculated by adding the distance of the forward trip to the distance of the return trip. For instance, if a person travels 50 miles in one direction and then returns to the starting point, the total distance traveled would be 100 miles.

3. Can the average speed of a back and forth trip be different from the speed of the forward trip?

Yes, the average speed of a back and forth trip can be different from the speed of the forward trip. This can happen if there are variations in speed or breaks taken during the trip. However, the average speed will always be between the speeds of the forward and return trips.

4. Is the average speed of a back and forth trip affected by the mode of transportation?

Yes, the average speed of a back and forth trip can be affected by the mode of transportation. Different modes of transportation have different speeds, which can impact the overall average speed. For example, a car may have a higher average speed than a bike or a train.

5. What factors can affect the average speed of a back and forth trip?

Some factors that can affect the average speed of a back and forth trip include traffic, road conditions, weather, and mode of transportation. Additionally, the speed of the forward and return trips can also impact the overall average speed.