How dense is a virus/virion in relation to water?

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses the density of virus particles and their relevance in particle tracking simulations. The density of water is a good approximation for viruses and they can be airborne due to their small size and Brownian motion. A common method for purifying viruses is through density gradient centrifugation. The conversation also mentions using Brownian motion to enhance the catching frequency in a filtration system.
Aero51
I am doing a project for my fluids class pertaining to particle tracking. As a sample application, I would like to simulate a virus traveling through a filter or (most simply) a very narrow tube in laminar flow conditions. I need the density of an individual virus particle (a virion as Wikipedia says) to resolve the buoyant forces. Right now I have found very low density viruses to be about 1.03 g/ml or about 1030 kg/m^3 (just under the density of water). I have no physical intuition, but that number seems very large for a virus. I would think if their density was almost as high as water that there would be no such thing as an "airborne virus" simply because it would sink to the ground. Does anyone have a good reference?

Biology news on Phys.org
The density of water is a good approximation for all cells and cell-like structures, usually water is the main component.

Virus particles are so small that buoyancy (and gravity in general) is negligible in realistic setups - sure, if your air is perfectly motionless, on average the particle will sink, but if that happens on a timescale of hours (or even longer) you can neglect it. Brownian motion is relevant for those particles, too.

Viruses have about the same density as water. They can be airborne when they become aerosolized small water droplets.

A typical way to purify viruses is by density gradient centrifugation. Essentially, you set up a gradient in centrifuge tube with a high concentration of a salt or sugar solution at the bottom of the tube and a lower concentration on top. You then add the virus in and centrifuge overnight so that the virus migrates to where it's density matches the density of the surrounding solution. Here's a paper that estimates the density of hepatitis C virus using this method and also discusses the density of other viruses: http://vir.sgmjournals.org/content/73/3/715.full.pdf

Thank you for the information. According to my calculations the Brownian motion is generally small, but may not be negligible. For instance, I would like to model a filtration system. We have a fully developed laminar flow in a tube of a diameter D. What diameter would be required to say, stop 90% of virions traveling through a filter channel of 100 microns in length? I am not planning on including the wall attraction just yet, but I have included the drag forces, buoyant forces and the Saffman lift force. The Brownian motion of the particle will help enhance the catching frequency. If this is not a good application, what would you suggest?

I can provide some insight into the density of viruses and how it relates to their behavior in fluids. First, it is important to note that the density of a virus can vary depending on the specific type of virus and its individual characteristics. However, on average, the density of a virus particle is around 1.03 g/ml or 1030 kg/m^3, which is just slightly lower than the density of water.

This may seem like a high density for such a small particle, but it is important to remember that viruses are not solid objects. They are made up of genetic material (DNA or RNA) surrounded by a protein coat, and sometimes a lipid envelope. This composition contributes to their overall density. Additionally, the density of a virus can be affected by its shape and size, as well as the environment in which it is found.

In terms of their behavior in fluids, viruses are considered to be neutrally buoyant, meaning they neither sink nor float in water. This is due to their density being similar to that of water. However, in air, the density of viruses is significantly lower than that of the surrounding air, which allows them to remain suspended and travel through the air as an "airborne virus."

I would recommend consulting scientific literature or databases to find specific information on the density of the virus you are studying. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the fluid dynamics of the environment in which the virus is traveling, as this can also affect its behavior and movement.

What is the density of a virus/virion?

The density of a virus/virion can vary depending on the specific type of virus and its structure. Generally, the density falls within the range of 1.15-1.35 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

How is the density of a virus/virion measured?

The density of a virus/virion is typically measured using density gradient centrifugation. This technique involves layering a sample containing the virus onto a gradient of sucrose or cesium chloride and spinning it at high speeds. The virus will eventually settle at a specific point in the gradient, allowing for its density to be determined.

Why is the density of a virus/virion important?

The density of a virus/virion is important for several reasons. It can provide information about the virus's structure and composition, which can aid in its identification and classification. Additionally, knowing the density can help scientists understand how the virus interacts with its host and how it may be transmitted.

How does the density of a virus/virion affect its behavior?

The density of a virus/virion can influence its behavior in various ways. For example, viruses with a higher density may settle to the bottom of a sample, making them easier to isolate and study. Additionally, the density can affect how a virus moves through a host's body and how it interacts with other substances in its environment.

Can the density of a virus/virion change over time?

Yes, the density of a virus/virion can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the virus's structure or composition, environmental factors, or interactions with other substances. It is important for scientists to regularly monitor the density of viruses as it can impact their behavior and potential treatments or vaccines.