X-ray applications in solid state physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of researching various applications of x-rays in solid state physics. The participants suggest browsing through synchrotron facility websites and journals, such as the journal of Synchrotron Radiation and Synchrotron Radiation News, for techniques that use x-ray beams to study materials. The conversation also mentions key words to search for, such as XPS, XAFS, XANES, and XRD. The participants also mention the possibility of finding helpful information in spotlights on science and highlights reports.
maicael
hello everyone,
i am looking for a comprehensive link for the topic above as i want to do some research on various applications of x-rays in solid state physics.
its a personal research but i have some materials but i still feel i need a whole lot more.
Any form of help would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
www.esrf.fr

browse through the different spotlights on science and look at the highlights reports. There are plenty of x-ray applications for all kinds of condensed matter physics.

maicael said:
hello everyone,
i am looking for a comprehensive link for the topic above as i want to do some research on various applications of x-rays in solid state physics.
its a personal research but i have some materials but i still feel i need a whole lot more.
Any form of help would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

As has been hinted, look at a synchrotron facility website and you'll see a bunch of techniques that employ x-ray beams to study materials. A few key words to search: XPS, XAFS, XANES, XRD, etc...

Zz.

There is also:

The journal of Synchrotron Radiation http://journals.iucr.org/s/

Synchrotron Radiation News http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/gsrn20/current#.U3CTcCiLWcY

Last edited by a moderator:
some one forgot XCD...

What sort of materials are interested in?

Don't worry about it. The OP posted and run, and never bothered to follow up.

Zz.

1. What is the main purpose of using X-rays in solid state physics?

The main purpose of using X-rays in solid state physics is to study the atomic and molecular structure of solids. X-rays have a shorter wavelength than visible light, which allows them to interact with the closely packed atoms in solids and reveal information about their arrangement and bonding.

2. How are X-rays produced for use in solid state physics experiments?

X-rays can be produced through a process called bremsstrahlung, where a high-energy electron is slowed down or stopped by a metal target, emitting X-rays in the process. They can also be produced through synchrotron radiation, which involves accelerating electrons in a circular path using powerful magnets.

3. What techniques are commonly used to analyze X-ray diffraction patterns?

Two of the most commonly used techniques for analyzing X-ray diffraction patterns are the Bragg equation and the Debye-Scherrer method. The Bragg equation uses the diffraction angles and the known wavelength of the X-rays to determine the spacing between atomic planes in a crystal. The Debye-Scherrer method involves taking a photograph of the diffraction pattern and using it to calculate the crystal structure.

4. How do X-rays interact with different types of materials in solid state physics experiments?

X-rays can interact with materials in a variety of ways, depending on the composition and structure of the material. Some of the common interactions include scattering, absorption, and fluorescence. These interactions can provide information about the composition, structure, and electronic properties of the material being studied.

5. What are some common applications of X-ray techniques in solid state physics research?

X-ray techniques are commonly used in a wide range of research areas in solid state physics, including material characterization, crystal structure determination, and analyzing changes in atomic and electronic structure under different conditions such as temperature or pressure. They are also used in fields such as nanotechnology, where the study of materials on a nanoscale requires high-resolution techniques like X-ray microscopy.