Uncertainty theory doesn't disprove fate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uncertainty theory and its implications on predicting the future behavior of particles. It is mentioned that the theory suggests that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured precisely enough to predict its future, but this does not necessarily mean that the future is not predetermined or that particles do not act in a domino-like manner. The speaker suggests looking into the "hidden variables" theory for further understanding, but also mentions that previous versions of this idea have been disproven. Additionally, the concept of Heisenberg's uncertainty is referenced as a fundamental aspect of nature, rather than simply a disturbance in measurement.
sigh hens
From my understanding, uncertainty theory only says that we would be unable to measure the position and momentum of a particle with enough precision to predict its future. But this doesn't mean that the future isn't predetermined and that all particles don't act in a domino-like manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, no. It is not just a matter of measurement, the particle doesn't even have a fixed position or momemtum.

ok, so I guess I need to further my understanding of the theory. Thanks

You might want to look into the "hidden variables" theory, I think that gets down to the heart of what you're asking about. There have been multiple versions of this same idea proposed over the years since QM was first concieved, and they've all been disproven to my knowledge.

Don't think of Heisenbergs uncertainty in terms of a mearsurement disturbance. Position and momentum are simply not more accurate defined in nature than in Heisenberg's uncertainty allows. It's built into nature.

1. What is uncertainty theory?

Uncertainty theory is a scientific concept that suggests that the outcome of certain events or phenomena cannot be accurately predicted due to various factors, such as incomplete information or randomness.

2. How does uncertainty theory relate to fate?

Uncertainty theory does not necessarily disprove the concept of fate, as it does not make any claims about the existence or non-existence of predetermined outcomes. Instead, it acknowledges the limitations of human understanding and the possibility of unpredictable events affecting the course of events.

3. Can fate and uncertainty theory coexist?

Yes, it is possible for fate and uncertainty theory to coexist. While fate suggests that events are predetermined, uncertainty theory acknowledges the possibility of uncontrollable factors influencing the outcome of these events.

4. Does uncertainty theory challenge the idea of free will?

No, uncertainty theory does not necessarily challenge the concept of free will. It simply acknowledges that certain outcomes may be influenced by factors outside of our control, but it does not discount the choices and decisions made by individuals.

5. Is uncertainty theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Uncertainty theory is a well-established concept in the fields of mathematics, physics, and other sciences. While there may be differing opinions on its implications, it is generally accepted by the scientific community as a valid approach to understanding and predicting uncertain events.