What is the current estimate for the number of genes in humans?

• Thread starter Dr. Nick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
AZING!In summary, the conversation revolves around the disappointment in finding updated information on the estimated number of genes. The speaker mentions that while there was initial interest in the topic, it seems to have changed in the general public. They are looking for a reliable source to regularly check for the latest estimate, and a link is provided for reference.
Dr. Nick
Currently ? :)
I was really disappointed with the internet when I tried to find this figure, all you can get are old articles, and with, in the best case, 30.000 genes estimate. This tells me that after great initial interest in this topic, interest has changed, in general public at least.

I know that number must be about 20.000 genes or less, but don’t know current figure, is there place where I can regularly check latest estimate?

Biology news on Phys.org
Dr. Nick said:
Currently ? :)
I was really disappointed with the internet when I tried to find this figure, all you can get are old articles, and with, in the best case, 30.000 genes estimate. This tells me that after great initial interest in this topic, interest has changed, in general public at least.

I know that number must be about 20.000 genes or less, but don’t know current figure, is there place where I can regularly check latest estimate?
Check http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/faq/genenumber.shtml" and the links provided. It seems pretty up to date.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

It is estimated that humans have between 20,000 and 25,000 genes. However, the exact number is still being debated and is constantly changing with new research and discoveries. The Human Genome Project, completed in 2003, initially estimated that humans have around 30,000 genes, but subsequent studies have shown that this number is likely lower. The ENCODE project, completed in 2012, estimated that humans have around 20,000 genes. However, recent studies have shown that the number of functional genes in humans may be even lower, around 19,000. It is important to note that the number of genes does not necessarily determine the complexity of an organism. For example, the fruit fly has approximately 13,000 genes, but is still a complex organism. As research continues, the exact number of genes in humans may continue to change.

1. What are genes?

Genes are segments of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) that contain instructions for creating proteins, which are essential for the structure and function of our cells. They determine the traits and characteristics of an organism, such as eye color, height, and susceptibility to certain diseases.

2. How many genes do humans have?

The estimated number of genes in the human genome is around 20,000-25,000. However, this number can vary depending on the source and definition of a "gene". Some scientists argue that the number may be closer to 19,000, while others suggest it could be as high as 46,000.

3. Do all organisms have the same number of genes?

No, the number of genes can vary greatly among different organisms. For example, bacteria can have as few as 500 genes, while plants may have 20,000-40,000 genes. The complexity and size of an organism do not necessarily correlate with the number of genes it has.

4. Can genes be turned off or on?

Yes, genes can be turned off or on through a process called gene expression. This process is regulated by various factors, such as environmental cues and signals from other genes. Gene expression allows for the control and coordination of cellular processes and the development of an organism.

5. Can we alter or manipulate our genes?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques such as gene editing and gene therapy that allow for the manipulation of genes. However, these techniques are still in the early stages of development and have ethical implications that need to be considered. Additionally, altering genes can have unpredictable consequences, so it is a complex and ongoing area of research.