How to Maximize Productivity on a 28 Hour Day

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around different sleep schedules and their effects on productivity. A few individuals share their experiences with different sleep patterns, including polyphasic sleep and fragmented sleep. One person mentions a study about a 25-hour biological clock, and another person asks about the reasons behind the discussion. The original poster reveals that they are testing the limits of student productivity.
Rach3
24*7=168
28*6=168

Aaaargh! My plans are not working. Somehow I slept for 16 hours today (after going two days without sleep). I think I'm giving up for now...

On the plus side, I got up at 4PM, which means I'll be active until at least noon tomorrow. I can still make it to lunch before falling asleep (and then I'll be up at 9PM, which is even better!).

-Rach3 (looks like this: :bugeye: :yuck: )

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish the day had 25 hours

Rach3 said:
24*7=168
28*6=168

Aaaargh! My plans are not working. Somehow I slept for 16 hours today (after going two days without sleep). I think I'm giving up for now...

On the plus side, I got up at 4PM, which means I'll be active until at least noon tomorrow. I can still make it to lunch before falling asleep (and then I'll be up at 9PM, which is even better!).

-Rach3 (looks like this: :bugeye: :yuck: )

You must be young.

DaveC426913 said:
You must be young.

:rofl: And you must be old to have deduced that so quickly. :rofl:

Rach, WHY are you on this sort of schedule?

The week before the APS March Meeting in 2005, I had a 3-day week with 40-hour days. This last week, I've been on 16-hour days so my sleep time's been all over the clock. I put in a 30-hour day on monday to right myself again, but I'm still a little off! In my case, my measurement time decides when I get to sleep.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
:rofl: And you must be old to have deduced that so quickly. :rofl:
:biggrin:

Old enough to have a son who prides himself on how badly he can screw up his metabolism.

Not so old that I don't remember thinking I too was once invulnerable and immortal.

Gokul43201 said:
The week before the APS March Meeting in 2005, I had a 3-day week with 40-hour days. This last week, I've been on 16-hour days so my sleep time's been all over the clock. I put in a 30-hour day on monday to right myself again, but I'm still a little off! In my case, my measurement time decides when I get to sleep.

One of our grad students recently submitted a proposal including 55 hour experiments (and there will be lots of them over a few month span of time). His mentor assured him that they could do it with enough help. I pointed out that the only person with enough experience to help on that was me (this is why his mentor wasn't phased by the idea, because he doesn't have much hands-on experience with this himself to realize that the longer that experiment goes, the more problems they'll have just keeping it running). :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
One of our grad students recently submitted a proposal including 55 hour experiments (and there will be lots of them over a few month span of time). His mentor assured him that they could do it with enough help. I pointed out that the only person with enough experience to help on that was me (this is why his mentor wasn't phased by the idea, because he doesn't have much hands-on experience with this himself to realize that the longer that experiment goes, the more problems they'll have just keeping it running). :rolleyes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep" [Broken] :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yonoz said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep" [Broken] :tongue2:

Note the cautionary statement at the top of that article about "unverified claims." What they are describing in that article is what is more commonly known as "fragmented sleep" and is NOT a good thing (parents all know what fragmented sleep is, because they've all experienced at least a few months of it when bringing home a newborn, and they also can all tell you how poorly they function under those conditions...and the co-workers of those who try to work during those first months will also tell you how poorly they function during that time). That article is a good example of why wikipedia is NOT always a good source of information.

Would humans be 1.33x more advanced if we didn't have to sleep (assuming an 8 hours average/day)?
One of my New Year resolutions is to sleep right. I was on a rigid schedule over the summer and I slept/woke up at the same time every day (got 8 hours)...it was magical :biggrin:.

Physics_wiz said:
Would humans be 1.33x more advanced if we didn't have to sleep (assuming an 8 hours average/day)?
One of my New Year resolutions is to sleep right. I was on a rigid schedule over the summer and I slept/woke up at the same time every day (got 8 hours)...it was magical :biggrin:.

Well, you mean .5x MORE advanced, or stated otherwise, 1.5x what we are now. Note that we are comparing 16 awake hours and 24 awake hours. 16 * 1.5 = 24.

So far over winter break I have usually had work until midnight, went home and ate something small, maybe just a bottle of that naked fruit juice stuff, and then went to bed at 1. At this time, I get out my iPod and listen to an hour long podcast (I like some of the ones from WNYC's radio lab), and then go to sleep at around 2. I wake up anywhere from 10:30-1:30...

More like [tex]e^{1.5}\approx 4.47[/tex].

I don't know what I did, but I just woke up and it was 7:10 AM. woot!

edit: oh hell, my clock is off, it was only 6:10 AM...

I have work tomorrow at noon :eek:

Geez, that means I will have to wake up at 11:00:grumpy:

I was looking for articles/papers that showed evidence for a 25-hour biological clock, and stumbled upon this: http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/07.15/bioclock24.html [Broken]

Rach, why are you doing this?

verty said:
Rach, why are you doing this?

I want to test the limits of student productivity.

1. How can I physically stay awake for 28 hours?

The best way to stay awake for 28 hours is to ensure that you get enough rest beforehand. Avoid caffeine and sugar, as they can cause crashes later on. Take short power naps throughout the day and try to stay active to keep your energy levels up.

2. How does an extra four hours affect the body's natural clock?

An extra four hours can disrupt the body's natural circadian rhythm, which is responsible for regulating sleep-wake cycles. This can lead to feelings of fatigue and difficulty falling asleep at the usual time. It's important to try to maintain a regular sleep schedule to avoid these disruptions.

3. Are there any potential health risks associated with staying awake for 28 hours?

Yes, staying awake for 28 hours can lead to a number of health risks, including decreased cognitive function, impaired decision-making, and increased risk of accidents. It can also negatively impact the immune system, making you more susceptible to illness.

4. Can I train my body to function with less sleep?

While some people may naturally require less sleep, it is not recommended to intentionally train your body to function with less sleep. Adequate sleep is essential for overall health and well-being, and consistently depriving yourself of sleep can have negative long-term effects on your health.

5. What strategies can I use to make it through a 28 hour day?

Some strategies to help you make it through a 28 hour day include staying hydrated, eating nutritious meals and snacks, taking short breaks for physical activity, and staying mentally engaged. It can also be helpful to break up the day into smaller chunks and set achievable goals to stay motivated.