Some-what fancy trig inegral

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, to find the integral of (cosx)^2(tanx)^3, first rewrite tanx as (sinx)^3/(cosx)^3 and cancel out the (cosx)^2. Then rewrite the remaining integral as (tanx)(sinx)^2 and use the identity sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x to simplify further. The final integral will be tanx - (sinx)^2cosx.
Rasine
find the integral of (cosx)^2(tanx)^3

so first of all i rewrote tan to be (sinx)^3/(cosx)^3 so that i could cancle out the (cosx)^2 on top

and now i have the integral of (1/cosx)(sinx)^3

i rewrote that to be (tanx)(sinx)^2...and now i am stuck

i don't know of any IDs that could make the integral simplier...i am open to suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\sin^3{x}}{\cos{x}} = \frac{\sin^2{x}sin{x}}{\cos{x}} [/tex]

right...so sinx/cosx would be tanx and that would it it (sinx)^2(tanx)...right?

No. sin^2 would be 1-cos^2

ok let me try that

now i am getting the integral of tanx-sinxcosx

i know how to integrate sinxcosx but not tanx

Rasine said:
i know how to integrate sinxcosx but not tanx

That's strange...

tanx is just sinxcosx, except that the cosx is placed in the denominator. :wink:

oohhh ok...let me try it

1. What is the definition of a trigonometric integral?

A trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are used to describe the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. What is the purpose of using trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals are used to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. These integrals are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze real-world problems.

3. How do you solve a trigonometric integral?

To solve a trigonometric integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the form of the integral and the properties of the trigonometric functions involved.

4. Are there any special properties of trigonometric integrals?

Yes, there are a few special properties of trigonometric integrals that are useful in solving them. These include the periodicity of trigonometric functions, the Pythagorean identities, and the even and odd properties of trigonometric functions.

5. Can trigonometric integrals be solved analytically or numerically?

Trigonometric integrals can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact algebraic expression for the integral, while numerical solutions use methods such as approximation and numerical integration to find an approximate value for the integral.