Ready for a mind-boggling math challenge?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the game is called "Groovy Math" and it is a game that is played in math class to keep the students amused. It is a game where one person (the "number-picker") picks a number and then the other players (the "guesses") guess what the number is. The number-picker then categorizes the guessed numbers in the following manner: correct digits, in the right place, and with the correct number of digits. If the number-picker gets the answer right on the first guess, then he or she gets a dollar.
Imparcticle
GROOVY math game!

Aloha!

When we have nothing better to do in my math class, my teacher likes to play this game that I'm going to tell you about. Ok, this is how it works. One person picks a number. In my class, we always make it a 3 digit number, but I suppose you smart alleck physics people could do for more complex numbers? Or should we keep it simple? How about the person picking the number says the number of digits of the number.
Anywho, the other players guess what the number is, and the person who picked the number catagorizes the guessed numbers in the following fashion:

The guessed #---------# of #s correct------# of # in the correct place

And by utilizing their logical deduction abilities, the player can guess the correct number. The player who guesses the correct number can come up with his or her own number for everyone else to guess.

To prevent anyone from cheating, (and changing the number while everyone is still guessing) I suggest the "number-picker" tells the number to a certain amount of people. Does anyone have a suggestion concerning this rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
I"m not sure how this game is played but I'm game. I'll start out with a little number to get the hang of it. I'm thinking of a one digit number between 0 and 2. I'll give you 3 guesses.

no no no, tribdog you got it all wrong. Here is how the game is played.

Say I pick the number 1234

Now someone guesses the number to be 1993

I will reply by saying one digit is in the right position and one digit is in the number but not in the right position

Then someone else will guess 1239

I will then reply by saying three digits are in the right place

Finally someone else will guess 1234

I will then reply by saying you correctly guessed the number

------------------------------

Ok, I've written down an eight digit number, let the guessing commence.

Since when is there nothing better than this to do in MATH CLASS?

- Warren

I guess you need to be a real "Mastermind"tm to figure this one out right?

tribdog said:
I guess you need to be a real "Mastermind"tm to figure this one out right?
yay, you figured out what the game is called. :)

I'm sure there is a strategy I should use, but I don't know what that strategy is so I'll just guess a number. If I get it right on the first guess though I want a dollar.

IIRC, there's a fixed sequence of guesses you can make that will allow you to name the answer on the next try, and I think in a minimal average number of tries too.

oh, I can give the answer on the next try, but not the correct answer. or maybe I can. is the answer 32?

tribdog said:
I'm sure there is a strategy I should use, but I don't know what that strategy is so I'll just guess a number. If I get it right on the first guess though I want a dollar.

5 digits are in the wrong position

12345687 ?

7 digits are in the wrong position

You also have to say how many numbers are correct in addition to how many are in the correct place.

87609485?

5 in the wrong position
0 in the correct position (Same for above responses)

How many numbers are in this mystery number?

guesses:

lol, you all know I shouldn't be the one guessing because I'm not going to take it seriously and I'll turn it into a joke. but since I've already started guessing I'll keep going. my next guess is:

see I'm screwing around already.

SquareItSalamander,

1. 5 correct digits, 0 in the right place
2. 5 correct digits, 0 in the right place
3. 5 correct digits, 0 in the right place

Tribdog

5 correct digits 0 in the right place

aloha!

Can you PLEASE say how many numbers there are in the mystery number? PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP? WITH WHIPPED CREAM ON TOP OF THE CHERRY ON TOP OF THE PRETTY PLEASE?? :frown: :redface: :tongue: :confused: :wink: :biggrin: :smile:

aNy WhO, hErE aRe mY GuEsSeS:

aNd To TaKe On mOrE dEsPeRaTe MeAsUrEs...

:biggrin: :wink: :cool:

I bet I got pretty darn close this time, eh?

Last edited:

What is a mind-boggling math challenge?

A mind-boggling math challenge is a problem or puzzle that involves complex mathematical concepts and requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve.

Why should I participate in a mind-boggling math challenge?

Participating in mind-boggling math challenges can help improve your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and overall understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also be a fun and engaging way to challenge yourself and learn new things.

Who can participate in a mind-boggling math challenge?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics and a willingness to solve challenging problems can participate in a mind-boggling math challenge. These challenges can be enjoyed by individuals of all ages and backgrounds.

What types of math problems are typically included in a mind-boggling math challenge?

Mind-boggling math challenges can include a variety of problems, such as logic puzzles, number sequences, geometry problems, and more. The common theme among these problems is that they require critical thinking and mathematical reasoning to solve.

Are there any benefits to regularly participating in mind-boggling math challenges?

Regularly participating in mind-boggling math challenges can help improve your problem-solving skills, boost your confidence in math, and expand your knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also be a fun and rewarding way to challenge yourself and keep your mind sharp.