Is the Speed of Light Different in a Casimir Vacuum?

In summary: This can be seen in the famous Double-slit experiment, where particles act as waves when passed through the slits, and can travel faster than the speed of light.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving a relation between the ground state of the electromagnetic field and the speed of light in a medium. It also touches on the effects of modifying the ground state, such as in the Casimir experiment. The conversation delves into the concept of particles being excitations of fields and the question of when a particle becomes a wave. The conversation also explores the idea of a 2-Dimensional electromagnetic vacuum and its role in the propagation of light and particles. Finally, the conversation concludes that when a 3-Dimensional particle is collapsed into a
ranyart
hellfire said:
May be this is just a trivial point: if one considers that light is propagating through a medium whose properties are determined by the ground state of the EM field, one should be able to derive a relation between this energetic state and c (or may be not?). Thus, if one modifies the ground state (as done in the Casimir experiment, where some excitation modes are suppressed due to geometric conditions), then the propagation speed should be different (higher, I suppose). I’ve never seen such a relation or derivation, and, if what I am writing is correct, I am not sure how it fits in SR.

Hellfire, you just going to make chroot :mad:

Whilst you queastion and reasonning are quite sound, the response by chroot is not so.

So let me elaborate on this:In quantum field theory, particles (and thus also photons) are excitations of fields. The the position is not a dinamical variable as such anymore, but just a label for each of the field excitations in space.

The QFT use's fields exitations, the old argument of 'when is a particle a wave?'..the answer in QM interpretations is whenever it is convienient.

But here is my answer and it will bare fruits later on, so the question again:'when is a particle a wave?'...the answer is when a 3-Dimensional particle is collapsed into a 2-Dimensional field. A wave is not 3-Dimensional, it may propergate across a 3-Dimensional space. A 3-Dimensional 'particle' cannot propergate in lesser dimensions and remain 'intact' as a geometric 3-D quantity.

Here you state:For example, how does light propagate in a Casimir vacuum? If different as in a usual vacuum, how does this fit with special relativity?

Take the QFT explination you get the variable statement:You can determine c from two properties of the vacuum: the permeability and permittivity. I'm not sure what you mean by "Casimir vacuum."

The 'not sure' part is spread Universally across QFT.

Here is my answer, The initial set up of two 'perfect' plates which are brought to gether, expells 3-D matter from the surface's of the plates, this produces a surface tension, which is 2-Dimensional, and 'VACUUM' like conditions arise, (use of like is justified for simplicity).

Now the interesting thing is that the grip 'force' holding the plates together, creates a 2-D Attractive force within the two co-joined plates , the energy is then transformed through the plates and around, out onto the 3-D surface, which becomes visible as Casimir 'Radiation'. This radiation you have to understand is blue, and has been accelerated along the Surface Tension. This is very similar to the ultra-cold B-E-C condensates, which shows the miesner effect for superconductivity(you know where the liquid defies gravity and runs up the side of containers).

Now you seem to understand the Geometric conditions that are Dimensionally causing effects the at Quantum Scales, but let's consider the Macro scale.

Our Galaxy is 3-D matter, it is surrounded by a 2-D space.

The 2-Dimensional space(My correct term is Electromagnetic Vacuum) produces a Tension around our Galaxy, it envelopes the Milky way, whilst the 3-Dimensional matter contained in our Galxay offset this tension with a Photon Pressure (3-Dimensional outwrard pouring of light/particles), the only thing that can travel through the E-M-V is waves!

The configuration of 3-Dimensional Particles are collapsed through the Vacuum 2-D, until it meets the outward Photon pressure of another Galaxy 3-D, and so the energy of Macro 3-Dimensional matter can be seen to be traveling through a un-observed medium(2-D Vacuum) which contracts the Matter into waves, and then as it enters any Galaxy is 'expanded' or transformed back into visible and full 3-D energie's, Particles.

The corresponding transformations in SR, Lorentz Transformations..etc..etc are the Relative explinations.

But wait I hear you say..where are the Extra-Dimensional domains in current theories?..D-branes..the fifth-dimension..Higher dimensions of stringtheory?..

The truth is the Universe only needs a 2-Dimensional field for waves, and a separate 3-Dimensional Spacetime for Particles.

Science news on Phys.org
The answer to your question, is that when a 3-D Particle is collapsed through the Vacuum(2-D), it travels faster than 'c'. The reason for this, is that the particles become waves, and the waves travel faster, as they travel through a 2-Dimensional Medium.

What is the propagation of light?

The propagation of light refers to the way in which light travels through space. It can be described as a wave of electromagnetic energy that moves in a straight line, unless it is affected by forces such as gravity or other objects.

How does light propagate?

Light propagates in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves are created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

What factors affect the propagation of light?

The propagation of light can be affected by a variety of factors including the medium through which it travels, the presence of objects in its path, and the angle at which it enters the medium. The speed of light can also be influenced by the temperature and density of the medium.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is equivalent to about 670,616,629 miles per hour or 186,282 miles per second.

What is the significance of light propagation in science?

The propagation of light is essential in understanding the behavior of light in our universe. It is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as astronomy, optics, and telecommunications. Without understanding light propagation, we would not be able to comprehend many natural phenomena and develop new technologies based on the properties of light.