How Far Does a Snowball Travel After Rolling Off a Roof?

• Thread starter ptpatil
  • Start date
In summary, a snowball falls from a roof with an initial velocity of 7.00 m/s and falls a maximum distance of 1.29 m from the edge of the roof.
ptpatil
[SOLVED] Snowball off of a roof

Homework Statement

A snowball rolls off of a roof angled downwards at 40.0 degrees, it has an initial velocity of 7.00 m/s. The roof is 14.0m tall.

Find how far from the edge of the roof the snowball falls

Homework Equations

I know that cos -40 x 7.00m/s is the horizontal velocity, and Vy initial is sin -40 x 7.00.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, this seemed like a ridiculously easy problem, but the thing is I keep getting a value of t that i just know isn't correct (my friend already solved it, but I'd rather understand what I'm doing wrong than just copy).

To find t (time), I used Y= Yo + Vy x t + 1/2gt^2
I put in the values and had the ground as 0m and inital Y as 14.0m.

I got this: 0=14m + (-4.49m/s x t) + (-4.9 m/s/s x t^2)

I solved for t and always get 1.29s as the possible root. My friend says its incorrect and it seems incorrect to me as well since that would mean the snow ball lands a hefty 7 meters away from the roof.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd check your trigonometry and, more specifically, your vertical initial velocity.

As a check for your comment about the ball landing a hefty 7m from the roof, you can calculate the maximum distance it could land if there were no acceleration using trigonometry, so I wouldn't say that 7m seems unreasonable. However, for the reason I pointed out above, this is incorrect anyway.

I've checked and rechecked my trig, i always come up with the same initial velocity of -4.49 m/s. =(

Ok, there's some ambiguity with the way you say "angled downwards." Well, at least in my mind anyway. However, from re-reading I guess you mean that the angle between the horizontal and the slope of the roof is 40 degrees? If so, your components are correct; sorry!

So, how did you solve the equation? Did you use the quadratic formula? If so, perhaps you could post your work and we can check for errors.

Oh, sorry about that, I should've cleared that bit.

Anyways, I did use the quadratic formula,

i said: 4.49 +- sqrt( -4.49^2 - 4(-4.9)(14.0))/-9.8

simplified, i got: 4.49 +- 17.16 / -9.8, I took the 4.49-17.16/-9.8 and got 1.29 seconds.

I even checked with an online quadratic solver, and it gave me the same figs

Well, your working looks correct to me, so I'd say your answer was too. What makes you so sure that your friend has got the correct answer?

Well its good to hear that I am atleast not delusional, I really don't know why I am so sure I am the one who's wrong, maybe he is, he would tell me that he got .89 seconds and 4.7 or something as the distance.

I don't know how he got it, but I think I am going to keep my answer, thanks for the help.

You're welcome!

1. How does the shape and size of a snowball affect its distance when rolled off a roof?

The shape and size of a snowball can greatly impact its distance when rolled off a roof. A larger and more compact snowball will have more mass and thus more momentum, resulting in a longer distance traveled. Additionally, a more spherical shape will have less resistance and therefore travel farther compared to a lumpy or unevenly shaped snowball.

2. What factors contribute to a snowball's speed when rolled off a roof?

The main factors that contribute to a snowball's speed when rolled off a roof are its mass, shape, and the height of the roof. As mentioned before, a larger and more compact snowball will have more momentum and therefore a higher speed. A more spherical shape will also have less resistance and result in a faster speed. The height of the roof will determine the initial potential energy of the snowball, which will then be converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the roof.

3. Can different types of roofs affect the distance a snowball travels?

Absolutely. Different types of roofs can have varying slopes and textures, which can greatly impact the distance a snowball travels when rolled off. For example, a steep and smooth roof will provide a longer and faster journey for the snowball compared to a flat and rough roof. Wind conditions can also play a role in the snowball's trajectory and distance traveled.

4. What happens to a snowball after it lands on the ground when rolled off a roof?

After landing on the ground, the snowball will continue to roll and travel a bit further depending on its momentum. It will eventually come to a stop due to friction with the ground. The impact of the landing may also cause the snowball to break apart or change shape.

5. Is it possible for a snowball to travel upwards when rolled off a roof?

No, it is not possible for a snowball to travel upwards when rolled off a roof. This is because the snowball's initial potential energy from being at a higher height will eventually be converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the roof. The only way for a snowball to travel upwards would be if it were thrown or propelled by an external force.