Proton Scattering: Calculating Current Density

In summary, the problem involves calculating the scattered current density of a 50uA beam of 1MeV proton on a 0.05um thick Iron target at a distance of 5 cm and an angle of 20 degrees. The relevant equation is \sigma(E,\theta) = \pi*Z_{1}Z_{2}e^{4}(M_{1}/M_{2})/ET^{2} and the probability density for scattering at a specific angle is given by \sigma(E,\theta=20). The solution involves finding the current density, which is proportional to the probability density, taking into account the angular dependence.
madeinmsia

Homework Statement

50uA beam of 1MeV proton
Target = Iron of 0.05um thick
Calculate scattered current density at distance 5 cm at 20 degrees angle

Homework Equations

[tex]\sigma(E,\theta)[/tex] = [tex]\pi*Z_{1}Z_{2}e^{4}(M_{1}/M_{2})/ET^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the probability of scattering to the angle is [tex]\frac{\int^{20}_{20}\sigma(E,\theta)d\Omega}{\int^{\pi}_{0}\sigma(E,\theta)d\Omega}[/tex]

Then how do i find the scattered current density with the info I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you've written down will give you an answer of 0 (zero) - since the probability of scattering exactly into a specified angle will be zero (as you can see from the limits of your integral)...but the probability density will not be zero. You need to find the current density, which is proportional to the probability density.

So, the correct term in the numberator is: [itex]\sigma(E,\theta=20)[/itex]

In any case, I don't know what the terms in the given equation represent, and I don't see where the angular dependence (I expect there should be a [itex]1-cos\theta[/itex] factor somewhere) is embedded.

Last edited:

1. What is proton scattering?

Proton scattering is a technique used in particle physics to study the structure of subatomic particles. It involves firing a beam of protons at a target and measuring the deflection of the protons after they interact with the target.

2. How is current density calculated in proton scattering?

Current density is calculated by analyzing the deflection of the protons and using mathematical equations to determine the charge and momentum of the particles. These values are then used to calculate the current density, which is a measure of the flow of charged particles per unit area.

3. What information can be obtained from proton scattering experiments?

Proton scattering experiments can provide information about the size, shape, and internal structure of subatomic particles. They can also reveal the forces and interactions between particles, and help scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter.

4. How is proton scattering different from other particle scattering techniques?

Proton scattering is different from other particle scattering techniques, such as electron scattering, because protons have a much larger mass than electrons. This allows for higher energy collisions and the ability to probe deeper into the structure of particles.

5. What are the applications of proton scattering?

Proton scattering has a wide range of applications in various fields, including nuclear physics, materials science, and medical physics. It is used to study the structure of atomic nuclei, analyze the properties of materials, and develop new techniques for cancer treatment.