Calculate Acceleration of Crate with Friction & Forces

In summary, the problem involves calculating the acceleration of a 200-kg crate being pushed with a force of 700 N, given a coefficient of friction of 0.20. The solution involves finding the net force by subtracting the force of friction from the applied force, then dividing by the mass. In a separate question, the problem involves finding the greatest acceleration that an elevator's motor can produce without breaking the cable, given the mass of the elevator, the maximum force the cable can tolerate, and the average mass of 20 persons. The solution involves finding the net force by subtracting the force of friction from the applied force, then dividing by the mass.
MikalP

Homework Statement

A 200-kg crate is pushes horizontally with a force of 700 N. If the coefficient of friction is 0.20, calculate the acceleration of the crate.

Homework Equations

Well, at the moment I'm just wondering if I used the right equations, and if not then a heads up on where I went wrong :eek:

Would I start with Ffr = u x Fn

and then proceed to a = Fnet / m?

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn = 200kg x 9.8 = 1960

Ffr = u x Fn, so 1960 x .20 = 392.

Ffr = 392.

a = Fnet / m,

Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr = 700N + 392 = 1092
[Removed Fg and Fn since they cross out as the block is not falling or rising]

Fnet / m = 1092 / 200 = 5.46 m/s

= = = =

I have another question that I'm currently stuck on but have yet to totally give it a try, so I will post the question and update it accordingly.

Homework Statement

Safety engineers estimate that an elevator can hold 20 persons of 75-kg average mass. The eleveator itself has a mass of 500 kg. Tensile strength tests show that the cable supporting the elevator can tolerate a maximum force of 2.96 x 10^4 N. What is the greatest acceleration the elevator's motor can produce without breaking the cable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr = 700N + 392 = 1092
Fapplied and Ffr act in the opposite direction. Therefore Fnet = Fapplied - Ffr

Ahh, I always throught it was Fapplied = Fnet - Ffr with Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr.. So it would be 700 - 392 = 308, 308 / 200 = 1.54 m/s. Alright, thanks for the help :) I'll probably come back tomorrow for the next question.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact and can be affected by factors such as surface roughness and the force pushing the surfaces together.

3. How does friction affect the acceleration of an object?

Friction can decrease the acceleration of an object by opposing its motion. This is because it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it harder for the object to move.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of a crate with friction and forces?

To calculate the acceleration of a crate with friction and forces, you would need to know the net force acting on the crate, the mass of the crate, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is on. The formula for acceleration in this scenario is a = (F - μFn)/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force, μ is the coefficient of friction, Fn is the normal force, and m is the mass of the crate.

5. How can the acceleration of a crate with friction and forces be used in practical applications?

The calculation of acceleration in this scenario can be used in practical applications such as designing vehicles with the appropriate amount of friction to ensure safe and efficient movement, or in understanding the forces at play in a moving object. It can also be used in industries such as manufacturing and transportation to optimize processes and reduce energy consumption.