What are the best brakes for generating heat in a small space?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a design from a physics forum for a project involving generating heat using a flywheel and brake pads. The individual is a bit rusty on physics but proposes using KE=.5mv^2 with a time constant to calculate the difference in velocity caused by the brake pads. They also ask for help finding small brakes that can generate a lot of heat. They also question if this equation would apply if heating a coil connected to the brake pads instead of the space.
everybest
Hi, I'm trying to use https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50668 for a design I'm working on, but the situation doesn't exactly match.

My idea was to use something like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KH24CPE0L._AA280_.jpg) with a flywheel and brake pads to generate heat.

I haven't taken physics in a few years, so I'm a little rusty. I thought I could use KE=.5mv^2 with like, the difference of "velocity without brakes" and "velocity with brakes", but those aren't initial/final, so I would need a time constant in there too.

If anybody can help, that'd be great. Are there any kind of brakes out there that would generate a lot of heat and still be small enough to fit into something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just confusing myself but would it be KE=.5m((d1/t1)^2-(d2/t2)^2) assuming d1=d2 OR t1=t2? (1 being without breaks and 2 being with breaks)

This is assuming the energy difference is all caused by the brake pads of course.

Also. would this all apply if I'm heating a coil connected to the brake pads opposed to heating the space?

Last edited:

Hello,

Friction is a common method of generating heat, as it is the result of two surfaces rubbing against each other. In the scenario you described, using a flywheel and brake pads to generate heat, you are essentially creating friction between the two surfaces. The kinetic energy equation you mentioned, KE=.5mv^2, is a good starting point for calculating the amount of heat generated.

However, there are a few other factors to consider in this situation. The type of material used for the flywheel and brake pads will affect the amount of heat generated. For example, materials with a higher coefficient of friction, such as rubber or metal, will produce more heat than materials with a lower coefficient of friction.

Additionally, the speed at which the flywheel is rotating and the amount of force applied by the brake pads will also impact the amount of heat generated. It's important to consider the limitations of the materials and design to ensure that the heat generated does not cause any damage or failure.

As for finding brakes that can generate a lot of heat and still be small enough to fit into your design, there are many options available on the market. You may want to consider using ceramic brakes, which are known for their high heat resistance and durability. It's also important to make sure that the brakes are properly ventilated to prevent overheating.

I hope this helps with your design. Good luck!

1. How does friction generate heat?

When two surfaces rub against each other, the molecules in those surfaces interact and create heat energy through friction. As the surfaces move, the molecules also vibrate, creating even more heat energy.

2. What types of materials can generate heat through friction?

Any material that has a rough surface and can rub against another surface can generate heat through friction. For example, wood, metal, and rubber are all commonly used to generate heat through friction.

3. How does the amount of force affect the heat generated by friction?

The greater the force applied to the surfaces, the more heat will be generated through friction. This is because the molecules in the surfaces will interact more vigorously, resulting in more heat production.

4. Is friction always necessary to generate heat?

No, friction is not always necessary to generate heat. Some materials, such as certain metals, can generate heat through other processes, such as electrical resistance or chemical reactions.

5. Can friction be harmful when using it to generate heat?

Yes, friction can be harmful when using it to generate heat. Excessive friction can lead to overheating and potentially cause damage to the surfaces or equipment involved. It is important to carefully monitor and control the friction and heat production in these situations.