I used the equation n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2 and plugged in the values.

In summary, the problem involves a beam of light incident on an equilateral triangular prism (n=1.55) at a 35 degree angle from the normal to one of the faces. The question asks for the exit angle. To solve this problem, Snell's law is the only law needed. The first step is to determine the angle of refraction at the first surface of the prism, then apply the law again at the second surface to find the exit angle. It is important to show all work for partial credit.
tuanle007

Homework Statement

light is incident on an equilateral triangular prism (n=1.55) at a 35 degree angle from the normal to one of the faces. What is the exit angle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

45 degree

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a coherence question (or advanced physics) but here goes -
You haven't shown any of your work, so let's break this down and go from the beginning - you should know that the beam of light bends as it passes through the first surface of the prism - you should know of a law that describes how much bending occurs. Then what happens to the beam of light?

thanks for everyone's help.
i really don't know where to start with this problem.
i am really lost in this class and i have a midterm next wednesday.

so using snell's law will help me find the exit angle?

i got i = 73.8 degree
?

73.8 degrees? Not yet. I was only looking for the angle inside the prism, then we were going to go thru and refract again at the second surface. You really need to show your work so I know what you're thinking - that's the way you get partial credit.

tuanle007 said:
so using snell's law will help me find the exit angle?

Yes, it's the only law you'll need to solve this.

tuanle007 said:
i got i = 73.8 degree?

How?

1. What is coherence light?

Coherence light refers to a type of light that has a consistent phase relationship between its waves. This means that the waves are synchronized and maintain a constant relationship to each other as they travel.

2. How is coherence light different from incoherent light?

Incoherent light has random phases and wavelengths, meaning the waves do not have a consistent relationship to each other. Coherence light, on the other hand, has waves that are "in step" with each other, resulting in a more organized and predictable pattern of light.

3. What is the importance of coherence light in scientific research?

Coherence light is essential in many areas of scientific research, including optics, interferometry, and holography. It allows scientists to make precise measurements and observations, as well as create clear and detailed images.

4. How is coherence light created?

Coherence light is typically created using lasers, which produce a narrow beam of light with consistent phase and wavelength. Other methods, such as using a diffraction grating or passing light through a pinhole, can also produce coherence light.

5. Can coherence light be manipulated?

Yes, coherence light can be manipulated through various techniques, such as using optical elements like lenses and mirrors to change the direction or focus of the light. It can also be manipulated by changing the properties of the laser or introducing external factors like interference or diffraction.