Inequalities Can You Help A GAL Out? THANKS

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with three equations involving inequalities. They are unsure how to solve them and looking for guidance. They also mention feeling relieved to see others struggling with the same type of questions. The person is also unable to attend their English class while dealing with this problem.
BeckyRN

Homework Statement

The Questions are 2x - 3 > x + 15
-4 x = 2 < 10 ( I am not sure how to place a line under the < on my computer)
and -5x + 1 < -2x + 10

I have never done these type questions before and if anyone is really good at explaining the answers, I would greatly appreciate it so very much.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Right now, I am checking out the other questions ...hmmm there are more folks then me having trouble with these type questions. I feel more normal now. I am missing my last English class about right now.

BeckyRN said:

Homework Statement

The Questions are 2x - 3 > x + 15
-4 x = 2 < 10 ( I am not sure how to place a line under the < on my computer)
and -5x + 1 < -2x + 10

These aren't questions: presumably you are asked to solve for x.

Would you be able to rearrange, say, 2x-3=x+15? What would you get?

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities refer to mathematical statements that compare two quantities or expressions. They use symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥ to show a relationship between the quantities, with one being greater than, less than, or equal to the other.

2. How do you solve inequalities?

To solve an inequality, you need to follow the same rules as solving equations, but with one key difference. Whenever you multiply or divide both sides of the inequality by a negative number, you must flip the direction of the inequality symbol. For example, if you have -2x < 6, dividing both sides by -2 would give you x > -3.

3. How are inequalities used in real life?

Inequalities are used in various real-life situations, such as in determining who qualifies for government assistance, setting income and salary levels, and deciding on the minimum and maximum speed limits for roads. They are also used in business and economics to represent supply and demand, profit and loss, and budget constraints.

4. Can you graph inequalities?

Yes, inequalities can be graphed on a number line or a coordinate plane. To graph an inequality, you need to first solve it for y (if it is not already in the form y = mx + b), and then plot the corresponding points on the graph. The direction of the inequality symbol will determine whether the line should be solid or dashed, and whether the shaded region should be above or below the line.

5. How can inequalities be solved and graphed simultaneously?

The solution to an inequality is the set of all values that make the inequality true. When solving and graphing inequalities simultaneously, you need to find the overlap of the solutions and shaded regions for each individual inequality. The overlapping region will be the solution to the system of inequalities.