Why is brass resistant to corrosion?

• Thread starter KAS90
  • Start date
In summary, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc that is resistant to corrosion as long as the zinc content does not exceed 15%. This is due to the zinc acting as an electron donor to the copper, preventing it from oxidizing. However, if the zinc content is too high, the brass will eventually corrode. The reason behind this is still unknown.
KAS90
hey there..
I read that brass "an alloy of copper and zinc" doesn't corrode unless more than 15% of zinc is added..
My question is.. what is the reason behind the resistance of corrosion of brass? does it have 2 do with the electronegativity or sumthing like that?
I'd appreciate ur response and help a lot..
Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
It would eventually corrode. But the way it works is that zinc is an electron donor. When the copper is ready to corrode, or oxidise (lost an electron), the zinc is there waiting to give it another to replace the lost electron. Obviously this cannot go on indefinately. Its the same reason why we get zinc coated nails etc.

As to why is corrodes if more than 15% is added... No idea.

I can provide an explanation for why brass does not corrode easily. The main reason is due to the composition of brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc. Copper is a very stable metal and does not readily react with oxygen or water, which are the main causes of corrosion. Zinc, on the other hand, is a more reactive metal and can easily form a protective layer on the surface of brass, preventing further corrosion. This layer is made up of zinc oxide, which acts as a barrier between the brass and the environment. The amount of zinc added to brass also plays a role in its resistance to corrosion, as mentioned in the statement. When the zinc content is below 15%, the protective layer may not be as strong, making the brass more susceptible to corrosion. Additionally, the electronegativity of the metals in brass does play a role in its corrosion resistance, as the more electronegative metal (zinc) tends to form a protective layer on the less electronegative metal (copper). Overall, the combination of these factors contributes to the corrosion resistance of brass. I hope this helps answer your question.

1. Why doesn't brass corrode?

Brass is an alloy made of copper and zinc. The zinc in brass acts as a barrier, preventing oxygen and moisture from reaching the copper and causing corrosion.

2. Does brass ever corrode?

Brass can corrode if it is exposed to certain chemicals, such as strong acids or bases. It can also corrode if it is in contact with a different metal that is more reactive.

3. How long does it take for brass to corrode?

The rate of corrosion for brass depends on the environment it is in. In most cases, brass will not corrode significantly for many years. However, in harsher environments, such as marine environments, corrosion may occur more quickly.

4. Can brass corrode in water?

In most cases, brass will not corrode in water. The zinc in brass acts as a protective barrier, preventing water from reaching the copper and causing corrosion. However, if the water is highly acidic or contains other corrosive substances, brass may corrode.

5. How can I prevent brass from corroding?

To prevent brass from corroding, it is important to keep it clean and dry. Avoid exposing brass to harsh chemicals and corrosive environments. If you notice any signs of corrosion, it is important to clean and protect the brass to prevent further corrosion.