Can a Hall sensor accurately calculate magnetic north for an LED board?

• Thread starter purejoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary: So if you want to be super-precise about it, you may need to use two of them.In summary, you can use a linear hall effect sensor to determine the direction of magnetic north.
purejoker
hi there, hope I am posting in the right place...

im trying to calculate the direction of magnetic north, using electronic curcuits.
what i want to do is have a board with a circle of led lights and when i place the board in different places; the light pointting to the direction of north should light up.

i can work out all the electronic, what I am stuck with is how to calculate the magnetic north.
ive looked into fluxgate, but they are to diffcult to build, is there any way of doing this with a hall sensor, or any other components.

i just need a idea to get me going...

thanks alot...

regards
pure

Physics news on Phys.org
Digital compass IC?

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/portal?smap=aerospace&page=Magnetic-Sensors3&theme=T15&catID=CF84B17AB-A90F-716D-10BC-A1E75441138E&id=HC1804CFD-B573-C5B4-9C0B-92928030FAAD&sel=2&sel4=2

If that's a little too pricey, here's a cheaper (and less accurate) one:
http://www.hvwtech.com/products_list.asp?CatID=114&SubCatID=214

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a linear hall effect sensor is fine.
If you want to just put the board down you need a 2d device (or two 1d devices at right angles) if you can rotate the board around and just find a maximum then you only need 1.

BUT the board must be horizontal - if you want this to work while tilted you have a much more complicated problem.

if i use a hall sensor, that means i require a magnet. but then how do i get the direction of magnetic north?

thank for your ideas

pure!

purejoker said:
if i use a hall sensor, that means i require a magnet.
Your standing on it.

but then how do i get the direction of magnetic north?
Measure the X and Y magnetic fields from two sensors at right angles and take the arctan
Think about if the board was pointing North, the y sensor would read a maximum and the X sensor would read zero , if it was pointing east they would be the other way around.

if i use one of these, will it do the job! if yes, which is the best to use??

http://www.dinsmoresensors.com/index.html

thanks
pure!

purejoker said:
if i use one of these, will it do the job! if yes, which is the best to use??

http://www.dinsmoresensors.com/index.html

thanks
pure!

Sure, but it depends on whether you're happy with 8 directions (the digital one), or if you need finer grain resolution (via an A/D converter). Not that you necessarily get a result that's any more accurate, however (the specs seem kind of sparse). If you choose one of the analog ones, note that one (the 1525) has a lower voltage swing than the other (1655). That means that you get less of a voltage change between, say, north and south.

1. How do you calculate magnetic north?

To calculate magnetic north, you must first determine your current location's magnetic declination. This can be done by using an online calculator or consulting a map with declination information. Once you have the declination value, you can use a compass or a specialized navigation tool to find the direction of magnetic north.

2. What is the difference between magnetic north and true north?

Magnetic north is the direction that a compass needle points towards, which is influenced by the Earth's magnetic field. True north, on the other hand, is the direction towards the geographic North Pole. The difference between the two is known as magnetic declination and varies depending on your location.

3. Why is calculating magnetic north important?

Knowing the direction of magnetic north is crucial for navigation and orientation. It helps you determine your current location and the direction you need to travel in order to reach your destination. Magnetic north is also important for activities such as hiking, camping, and boating.

4. Does magnetic north change over time?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, causing the direction of magnetic north to shift over time. This is known as secular variation and is influenced by factors such as the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core. As a result, it is important to regularly update your declination values for accurate navigation.

5. Can you calculate magnetic north on a smartphone?

Yes, there are many smartphone apps available that can help you calculate magnetic north. These apps use your phone's built-in compass and GPS to determine your location and provide accurate declination values. However, it is recommended to also carry a physical compass as a backup in case your phone's battery dies or malfunctions.