What is the intensity of the incident of light?

In summary, the problem involves unpolarized light incident on a system of three polarizers with different orientations. The light that emerges from the system has an intensity of 2.1 W/m2. To find the intensity of the incident light, the equation used is 2.1 W/m2 divided by cos^2(21) multiplied by 2, with the angle between the 2nd and 3rd polarizers being the missing factor.
phy112

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light is incident on a system of three polarizers. The second polarizer is oriented at an angle of 28.0° with respect to the first and the third is oriented at an angle of 45.0° with respect to the first. If the light that emerges from the system has an intensity of 2.1 W/m2, what is the intensity of the incident light?

Homework Equations

is this what you do: 2.1W/m^2 divided by cos^2(21). then divide that answer by cos^2(28) than multiply that anwswer by 2? I can's eem to get the right anwser to cos2(21) and cos2(28) right in my calculator. I need some help

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right except for the 21o. What is the angle between the 2nd and 3rd polarizers?

(Good job catching the final 2x factor, a lot of people miss that on problems like this.)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of intensity of light. Intensity is defined as the amount of energy that is transferred per unit area per unit time. In this case, we are given the intensity of the light that emerges from the system, which is 2.1 W/m2. This means that for every square meter of area, 2.1 Joules of energy are being transferred per second.

To find the intensity of the incident light, we can use the Malus' law, which states that the intensity of light passing through a polarizer is proportional to the cosine squared of the angle between the polarization direction of the incident light and the axis of the polarizer. In this case, we have three polarizers, each at different angles, so we need to consider the cumulative effect of all three polarizers.

Using the given angles of 28.0° and 45.0°, we can calculate the intensity of the incident light as follows:

I = I_0 cos^2(21) cos^2(28) cos^2(45)

Where I_0 is the initial intensity of the incident light. Rearranging the equation, we get:

I_0 = I / (cos^2(21) cos^2(28) cos^2(45))

Plugging in the given intensity of 2.1 W/m2, we get:

I_0 = 2.1 / (cos^2(21) cos^2(28) cos^2(45))

Using a scientific calculator, I get the value of I_0 to be approximately 3.48 W/m2. This is the intensity of the incident light that is being transmitted through all three polarizers.

1. What is the definition of intensity of incident light?

The intensity of incident light refers to the amount of light energy that falls on a surface per unit area. It is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or joules per second per square meter (J/s/m²).

2. How is the intensity of incident light calculated?

The intensity of incident light can be calculated by dividing the total power of the light source by the area of the surface that it falls on. It can also be calculated by measuring the amount of light received by a light sensor placed at a specific distance from the light source.

3. What factors affect the intensity of incident light?

The intensity of incident light can be affected by several factors such as the distance from the light source, the angle at which light hits the surface, and the properties of the material or medium that the light passes through. Additionally, the color and brightness of the light source can also affect the intensity of incident light.

4. How does the intensity of incident light impact photosynthesis?

The intensity of incident light is a crucial factor in photosynthesis as it determines the rate at which plants can produce food. Higher intensity of light can increase the rate of photosynthesis, while lower intensity of light can limit it. Different plants have different optimal intensities of light for photosynthesis.

5. Can the intensity of incident light be changed?

Yes, the intensity of incident light can be changed by altering the distance from the light source, adjusting the angle of the light, using different materials or filters to modify the light, or by changing the properties of the light source itself. In scientific experiments, controlling the intensity of incident light is important in studying its effects on various processes and phenomena.