Organic Chemistry(functional group)

In summary, Shulgin is not your friend. He is saying that if you have a compound in an rbf with a bunch of like NaOH, you'll have an organic layer and an aqueous layer, which will separate naturally. He is not really sure what your question is though.
Godwin Kessy
I have Been wondering a lot that why we cannot separate the organic compounds from the functional groups. And this is not established by the inorganic compounds!

What looks strange to me even more is that whenever a reaction occurs we face the functional group and these functional group are even in an orderly protocol of dominance!
Is there energy associated with these functional groups? and if yes? what makes so?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Godwin Kessy said:
why we cannot separate the organic compounds from the functional groups

Please elaborate - what do you mean by 'separation'?

--
methods

I can't answer OP's question, but I think I can clarify (key word is think) so that someone with a little more knowledge can give an answer. I think OP meant why do certain inorganic ions (OH-, NO2-, etc) act as functional groups, i.e. what separates them from other inorganic ions? And what determines their priority when substituting them onto a hydrocarbon (OH replacing a halogen for example)?

I could be wrong, but this is what I got from OP's questions. I'm actually pretty interested in hearing a response too, since I haven't studied organic chem in detail. I realize this is probably not a simple response type question, but if someone has a link or something, I would appreciate it.

pzona said:
I can't answer OP's question, but I think I can clarify (key word is think) so that someone with a little more knowledge can give an answer. I think OP meant why do certain inorganic ions (OH-, NO2-, etc) act as functional groups, i.e. what separates them from other inorganic ions?

Well, fundamentally: Not much. But it depends on the context. For instance, an organic molecule with a basic group might not be able to participate in a base-catalyzed reaction because it's sterically hindered by the bulky organic part.

But in general, the point of functional groups is to identify parts of organic molecules that are relatively independent. That have more-or less the same properties no matter what organic molecule they're connected to, and so you know that a reaction or property of one functional group will normally be the same everywhere. Obviously not everything qualifies as a functional group. Is "=CH-" a functional group? Well, no, because there's a big difference whether it's part of propylene or a benzene ring, for instance.

And what determines their priority when substituting them onto a hydrocarbon (OH replacing a halogen for example)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_group

Godwin Kessy said:
I have Been wondering a lot that why we cannot separate the organic compounds from the functional groups. And this is not established by the inorganic compounds!

What looks strange to me even more is that whenever a reaction occurs we face the functional group and these functional group are even in an orderly protocol of dominance!
Is there energy associated with these functional groups? and if yes? what makes so?

Wow! This question has it all! Dominance, energy, separation, protocol, order, functional groups... Too much to take in all at once.

Dude, Shulgin is not your friend.

for the most part, if you have a compound in an rbf with a bunch of like NaOH, you'll have an organic layer and an aqueous layer, so things separate naturally...

not really sure what your question is though... can you rephrase?

burningbend said:
for the most part, if you have a compound in an rbf with a bunch of like NaOH, you'll have an organic layer and an aqueous layer, so things separate naturally...

not really sure what your question is though... can you rephrase?

May be I should say it this way.
Whenever organic reactions take place, we always face the functional group. Then what's really special about these functional group?
Hows there!

Excuse me!
i don't really get you. What do you mean by rbf!
And seriously I haven't undrestood you well in you former thread.

Godwin Kessy said:
what's really special about these functional group?

They are the most reactive parts of the organic molecule, and their properties are - to some extent - independent on the carbon framewrok they are attached to.

--

1. What is a functional group in organic chemistry?

A functional group is a specific arrangement of atoms within a molecule that determines its chemical properties and reactivity. It is a group of atoms that are responsible for the characteristic reactions of a particular compound.

2. How many types of functional groups are there in organic chemistry?

There are several types of functional groups in organic chemistry, including alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, ethers, carboxylic acids, esters, amines, and amides. Each type has its own unique structure and properties.

3. What is the difference between a primary, secondary, and tertiary functional group?

The difference between primary, secondary, and tertiary functional groups lies in the number of carbon atoms bonded to the functional group. A primary functional group has one carbon atom bonded to it, a secondary functional group has two carbon atoms, and a tertiary functional group has three carbon atoms.

4. How do functional groups affect the properties of a molecule?

Functional groups can significantly influence the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. For example, the presence of a hydroxyl group (-OH) in a molecule can make it more polar, increasing its solubility in water. The presence of a double bond in an alkene functional group can make a molecule more reactive towards addition reactions.

5. Can functional groups be interconverted in organic chemistry?

Yes, functional groups can be interconverted in organic chemistry through chemical reactions. For example, an alcohol functional group can be converted to an alkene functional group through dehydration, where a water molecule is removed. This process is commonly used in organic synthesis to create different compounds with specific functional groups.