Showing that a given set of vectors forms a basis

In summary: The Attempt at a Solutionok...my instructor said he wants me to show that they are linearly independant and to show that they span to form a basis...not just by a theormim trying to show that the c_{1} and c_{2} are zero to say that they are but i get2c1-c2=0 and c2=c1 which does not workmy instructor does not want me to do the determinant wayi think i can show that it spans R^2 but i just need help showing that it is linear independantanyone?I think you mean to say that you want to show the two column vectors [
hachi_roku

Homework Statement

show that

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & -1\\-1 & 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

forms a basis for R^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok...my instructor said he wants me to show that they are linearly independant and to show that they span to form a basis...not just by a theorm

im trying to show that the c_{1} and c_{2} are zero to say that they are but i get

2c1-c2=0 and c2=c1 which does not work

my instructor does not want me to do the determinant way

i think i can show that it spans R^2 but i just need help showing that it is linear independant

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I think you mean to say that you want to show the two column vectors [2,-1] and [-1,1] are linearly independent. You probably don't want to write that as a 2x2 matrix. But are there any solutions to 2c1-c2=0 and c2=c1 that aren't c1=0 and c2=0? BTW don't bump your problem after only 20 minutes.

sorry bout the bump...

no...c1 or c2 must be zero to satisfy those equations, which would make them linearly independant?

pls tell me if next part is right...

if i say that 2c_1 - c2 = x1 and -c1+c2 = x2...since this tells me how to get c's...this set spans R^2, thus forming a basis?

You're forgiven for the bump, just give people time to collect their thoughts. And yes, they are linearly independent and yes, 2c_1 - c2 = x1 and -c1+c2 = x2 can be solved for any x1 and x2. So they span. I think you get it. Happy?

almost =) perhaps you can take a gander at my other thread about the runga kutta method?

thank you

hachi_roku said:
almost =) perhaps you can take a gander at my other thread about the runga kutta method?

thank you

I'm with everyone else on that one. If you are going to do a numerical integration, I think you need a numerical initial value.

thats the thing...i went to two different professors today and asked for help, one of which was the author of the book. he said its solveable and that you don't need an initial condition to solve, and another professor said that you do, because you can have so many different solutions on that x value that you need the y value to start

I guess I would pay some attention to the author of the book. Do they just mean to set up the iteration algorithm, or are you actually supposed to run it? You can solve the problem exactly without using numerical techniques at all. Look, I'm really an amateur at numerical techniques, I plug in cookbook methods and use them.

thats what I am trying to do too. actually the instructions say to show work for the iterations, so do u know how i can start? once i get started, i should be able to finish it

1. What does it mean for a set of vectors to form a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How can I show that a given set of vectors forms a basis?

To show that a set of vectors forms a basis, you can check two conditions: linear independence and spanning. Linear independence means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. Spanning means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

3. What is the importance of proving that a set of vectors forms a basis?

Proving that a set of vectors forms a basis is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the vector space in question. It also allows us to easily perform calculations and transformations on vectors within that space.

4. Can a set of vectors form more than one basis for a vector space?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.

5. What is the relation between a basis and the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in any basis for that vector space. This means that all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, or the same dimension.