Question from simple lens diagram (camera)

In summary, a simple camera with a converging lens of focal length 50.0 mm is used to photograph a tree 3.00 m high that is 8.00 m away from the lens. To calculate the distance between the lens and the film, the equation 1/f = 1/u + 1/v is used and the resulting distance is 50.3 mm. The linear magnification can be calculated using the equation m = -v/u, where the distance between the lens and the film (v) and the distance between the object and the lens (u) are both in meters. The height of the tree is not required to obtain the linear magnification.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

A simple camera has a converging lens of focal length 50.0 mm.

It is used to photograph a tree 3.00 m high.

The tree is 8.00 m away from the lens.

Calculate the distance v between the lens and the film, giving your answer in mm to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/u + 1/v

The Attempt at a Solution

1/50 = 1/8000 + 1/(-v)
v = -50.3 mm

Is this correct? Thank you! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you reason that the image distance was negative?

Hmmm, not sure why I done that actually...

Have corrected to:

1/f = 1/u + 1/v

1/50 = 1/8000 + 1/v

v = 50.3 mm

That looks right. The negative image distance you got before implies that the film needed to be outside the camera to capture the image.

Thanks Squeezebox!

When I want to calculate the linear magnification of the image, the following equation is used:

m = v/u

Do I use the same v and u values from above? (both in metres)

i.e.

0.0503 / 8 = 0.0063

ZedCar said:
Thanks Squeezebox!

When I want to calculate the linear magnification of the image, the following equation is used:

m = v/u

Do I use the same v and u values from above? (both in metres)

i.e.

0.0503 / 8 = 0.0063

Now you have the opposite problem. There's a negative sign in this one.

m= -v/u

The image gets flipped upside down. This happens with your eyes too; your brain flips the image back right side up.

Ah, so it'd be

-0.0503 / 8 = -0.0063

So is the height of the tree, stated in the question as being 3.00 m, not required to obtain the linear magnification?

What is a simple lens diagram?

A simple lens diagram is a diagram that shows the basic components of a lens, including the focal point, focal length, and principal axis. It also shows how light rays pass through the lens and are refracted to form an image.

What is the purpose of a simple lens diagram?

The purpose of a simple lens diagram is to help explain how a lens works and to provide a visual representation of the basic principles of optics. It is also useful for understanding how a camera lens functions and how images are formed.

What are the main components of a simple lens diagram?

The main components of a simple lens diagram include the lens itself, the focal point, the focal length, and the principal axis. Other elements may also be included, such as light rays and an object or image.

How does a simple lens diagram relate to photography?

A simple lens diagram is directly related to photography because it helps to explain how a camera lens works. By understanding the basic principles of a simple lens diagram, photographers can better understand how to manipulate their camera settings for desired effects.

Can a simple lens diagram be used for other types of lenses?

Yes, a simple lens diagram can be used to represent other types of lenses, such as convex or concave lenses. While the specific components and characteristics may vary, the basic principles of optics and light refraction still apply to all types of lenses.