Boric acid used to provide heat protection?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of boric acid as a heat shield and its potential use as an insulator for flight data recorders. The original poster asks for any references or information on this topic. A forum moderator also reminds users to post their questions in one place for better discussion.
ngilman
Hi,

Has anyone heard of a layer of boric acid being used as a heat shield? I know it is often used in solution and other composites to act as a fire retardant, but what I'm looking for is any reference to boric acid, by itself, being used as an insulator. Maybe like a layer of boric acid protecting the components of a flight data recorder?

Heard of anything like this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, ngilman!

In the future, please post your question in a single place. It is too difficult to have a consistant discussion if people need to search multiple places to read everything. I have closed this thread and deleted the others.

If you put the thread in the wrong place, the moderators can move it for you.

Please continue the discussion here.

Hi there,

Yes, boric acid has been used as a heat shield in various applications. In fact, it is commonly used as a flame retardant in products such as insulation, textiles, and electronics. It has a high melting point and can withstand high temperatures, making it a suitable material for heat protection.

As for its use as a layer to protect flight data recorders, I was able to find a few references to this in aviation forums and discussions. It seems that boric acid powder has been used in some cases to protect the sensitive components of flight data recorders from extreme temperatures during a crash or fire. However, it is important to note that this is not a standard practice and the use of boric acid in this way may vary depending on the specific circumstances and regulations of the aviation industry.

I hope this helps answer your question. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic!

1. What is boric acid and how does it provide heat protection?

Boric acid is a white, odorless, and crystalline compound that is commonly used as a flame retardant. When exposed to high temperatures, boric acid releases water molecules which help to cool and extinguish the fire, providing heat protection.

2. Is boric acid safe to use for heat protection?

Yes, boric acid is generally considered safe for use as a flame retardant. It is non-toxic and does not release harmful chemicals when exposed to heat. However, as with any chemical, it is important to follow safety precautions and use it as directed.

3. How is boric acid applied for heat protection?

Boric acid can be applied in various forms such as powder, liquid, or as a coating on materials. It is commonly used in products like fireproof clothing, insulation materials, and coatings for wood and other flammable surfaces.

4. What is the effectiveness of boric acid as a heat protectant?

Boric acid is a highly effective flame retardant and has been used in various industries for decades. It can significantly reduce the flammability of materials and provide heat protection, making it a popular choice for fire safety.

5. Are there any alternatives to boric acid for heat protection?

Yes, there are other flame retardants available in the market, such as ammonium polyphosphate and aluminum hydroxide. However, boric acid remains a popular choice due to its low cost, effectiveness, and non-toxic nature.