Deflection Of Beams: Moment Of Area Method Help

In summary, the moment of area method is a technique used to calculate the deflection of beams by determining the moment of inertia of the beam cross-section and using it to calculate the beam's deflection. The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of the area of each element of the cross-section and its distance from the neutral axis. This method assumes homogeneous and isotropic material, static equilibrium, and small deflection compared to the beam's length. It can be used for all types of beams, but for more complex loading conditions, other methods may be better. The accuracy of this method depends on the assumptions made and the accuracy of the moment of inertia calculation, with finite element analysis or experimental testing providing more accurate results.
mariechap89
I have attached the original question and my attempt at the solution.
I think I am on the right path but I am not sure. Can some one please direct me on if I am right so far and what to do if i am/ am not.
Thanks

Attachments

• Question2.jpg
    Question2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 442
  • Answer2.jpg
    Answer2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good for the deflection at the free end ...be sure to use the correct units when you crank out the numerical solution. Now what about the slope at the free end?

1. What is the moment of area method?

The moment of area method is a technique used to calculate the deflection of beams under various loading conditions. It involves determining the moment of inertia of the beam cross-section and using it to calculate the beam's deflection at any point.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of the area of each element of the cross-section and the square of its distance from the neutral axis. This can be done using calculus or by using tables for common geometries.

3. What are the assumptions made in the moment of area method?

The moment of area method assumes that the material of the beam is homogeneous and isotropic (having the same properties in all directions). It also assumes that the beam is in a state of static equilibrium and that the deflection is small compared to the beam's length.

4. Can the moment of area method be used for all types of beams?

Yes, the moment of area method can be used for all types of beams, including cantilever beams, simply supported beams, and overhanging beams. However, for more complex loading conditions, other methods such as the conjugate beam method may be more appropriate.

5. How accurate is the moment of area method?

The accuracy of the moment of area method depends on the accuracy of the assumptions made and the accuracy of the moment of inertia calculation. It is generally considered to be a good approximation for beams with small deflections and simple loading conditions. However, for more accurate results, finite element analysis or experimental testing may be necessary.