Creating a Board game and finding the Prob. of Winning

• Thread starter Carson888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board Game
In summary, a student in a grade 12 probability and statistics class is struggling with creating a board game and calculating the probability of winning. The game involves rolling two dice and moving through 50 squares, flipping a coin at each space. They are seeking help on how to calculate the theoretical probability and expected value, and suggestions include using simulations or college-level theory and a computer.
Carson888
hey, I'm in a grade 12 probability and statistics class, and I've been assigned to create a board game and calculate the probability of winning. All my ideas get to complicated and I am finding my self confused so I am trying to keep it relatively simple. It is a board game where the first person to the finish will win, which has 50 individual squares to travel through. You roll two die, and move along through each space accordingly. When you land on a spot you flip a coin. If it lands on heads you move forward a square, and if tails, back one. I am suppose to calculate the theoretical probability of winning and the expected value... can anyone offer any help on how to do this? PS. when you reach the end you do not flip a coin and any roll over the amount of spaces you needed to reach the end still counts as a win.

Physics news on Phys.org
psps i don't want the work done i would just like any ideas to help

You could try finding an approximate answer by running some simulations with a random number generator. For example in Excel the formula for a dice roll would be something like ceiling(6*rand()) or randbetween(1,6). It might be tricky to program but once you've set up a single game just get it to repeat many times and count the proportion where player 1 wins.

The probability can also be calculated exactly with the aid of some college-level theory and a computer (about 67%).

Good luck!

1. How do I come up with an original idea for a board game?

There are a few ways to brainstorm ideas for a board game. You can start by thinking about your interests and hobbies, and how they can be incorporated into a game. You can also draw inspiration from other popular board games, but make sure to put your own spin on it. Another approach is to think about different themes or storylines that you can build a game around.

2. What are the key elements of a successful board game?

A successful board game typically has a clear objective or goal, well-defined rules, engaging gameplay, and a balance of luck and strategy. It should also have interesting and visually appealing components, such as game pieces, board design, and artwork. Additionally, a successful board game should be easy to learn but still offer enough depth to keep players engaged.

3. How do I calculate the probability of winning in a board game?

The probability of winning in a board game depends on various factors, such as the number of players, the game mechanics, and the luck involved. To calculate the probability, you can use mathematical formulas or simulations to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes. However, keep in mind that the probability of winning can vary and may not always be accurate due to the unpredictable nature of games.

4. How can I playtest my board game to ensure it's balanced and fun?

Playtesting is an essential step in creating a successful board game. You can gather a group of friends or family members to play the game and provide feedback. Make sure to observe the gameplay and take note of any issues or imbalances. It's also helpful to playtest with different groups of people to get diverse perspectives. You can also consider hiring playtesters or joining a game design group to get more feedback.

5. How can I market and promote my board game?

Marketing and promoting a board game can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can use. You can create a website or social media pages to showcase your game and engage with potential players. You can also attend gaming conventions and events to showcase and demo your game to a wider audience. Collaborating with influencers or reviewers in the gaming community can also help promote your game. Lastly, consider running a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds and generate buzz for your game.