Relativity and the mass of photons.

In summary, when rearranging Einstein's mass-energy equivalence equation for photons, we get a mass of 0. This means that the energy-mass ratio of photons is undefined, but can be represented as infinity. This is due to the fact that photons have a mass of 0 and division by 0 is undefined. The correct equation for finding the energy of a photon is E=hv, using quantum mechanics.
JDude13
[STRIKE]If we rearrange Einstein's mass-energy equivallency equation we get.

[tex]m=\frac{E\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}{c^{2}}[/tex]

A photon moves at the speed of light making its beta=1. This would make its mass=0.
This would insinuate that in the original equation

[tex]E=\frac{mc^{2}}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] equals every other number (if my research serves me correctly). Is this why photons can have many frequencys/energies?
However; a photon is only moving at c in a vacuum. What happens in other mediums? Does a photon gain mass? And, if so, what happens to its energy?

Please don't bite my head off for not grasping some seemingly-easy topics. I'm still only young.[/STRIKE]

What is the equation to figure out the energy-mass ratio of photons?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please start by reading one of the entries in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum. The problem here is that you're starting off with the wrong premise/equation for photons.

Zz.

Well... That was helpful...
How about, instead of "You're doing it wrong" *silence*, you actually help. My post was a question which you have failed to answer.

I did answer it! You are starting off with the wrong equation that wasn't meant to be used for photons! Isn't that clearly stated in the FAQ? Or did you not even read it?

This is a VERY common question that we get on here. That is why it is in the FAQ! If you've read it, and still have something you didn't understand, then that's when a followup discussion on here will be appropriate!

Zz.

Could you please tell me the correct equation, then?
Why is the equation different to other particles?
Also, I told you not to bite my head off.
I also know what it says in the FAQ about overly-speculative posts.

Er... the FAQ contains NOTHING about "speculative post". You are confusing the FAQ with the PF Rules!

The FAQ thread, IN THE GENERAL PHYSICS FORUM, can be found here (in case you were lost in your search):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715

This link is also listed in one of the Sticky thread in the Relativity forum titled "IMPORTANT! Read before posting".

Zz.

There is rest mass, invariant mass, relativistic mass, gravitational mass, and inertial mass. Not all of these are equivalent to each other. First, figure out which one you are interested in.

JDude13 said:
This would make its mass=0.
What is the equation to figure out the energy-mass ratio of photons?
Since you specify mass=0 then you are talking about the invariant mass (usually the best mass from K^2's list to talk about these days). Since the mass is zero and division by 0 is undefined the "X to mass" ratio is going to be undefined regardless of what X is.

Why not simply say:
Energy of Photon = h v (h is Plank's constant, v is the frequancy ,here we must use quantum mechanics because we can not find the energy of the photon using relativity because 0/0 is unknown)
Mass of Photon = 0
hv/0 = infinity (often symbolically represented by ∞) .
o/o is undefined but X/o is defined it equals infinity.
so energy-mass ratio of photons = ∞

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to the mass of photons?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a concept that revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory also explains the relationship between mass and energy, which is where the mass of photons comes into play. According to relativity, photons have no rest mass but they do have energy, which can be converted into mass.

2. How does the mass of photons differ from the mass of other particles?

The mass of photons is fundamentally different from the mass of other particles. Photons are considered to be massless particles, meaning they have no rest mass. This is because they travel at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed possible in the universe. On the other hand, other particles have rest mass and can never reach the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the mass of photons in the theory of relativity?

The mass of photons is a crucial concept in the theory of relativity because it helps to explain the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It also plays a role in understanding the relationship between mass and energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc². The mass of photons also has implications for the concept of mass-energy equivalence and the structure of the universe.

4. Can the mass of photons change?

According to the theory of relativity, the mass of photons is constant and cannot change. This is because photons always travel at the speed of light, so they cannot gain or lose energy. However, in certain situations such as in a gravitational field, the energy of a photon can appear to change due to the effects of spacetime curvature. But this does not mean that the mass of the photon itself has changed.

5. How is the mass of photons measured?

Since photons have no rest mass, they cannot be measured in the same way as other particles. Instead, their energy is measured in units of electron volts (eV). This is done using various instruments such as particle accelerators and detectors. Additionally, the mass of photons can also be indirectly measured through their interactions with other particles, such as in the phenomenon of Compton scattering.