Thinking about changing from Physics to Applied Mathematics/Pure mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concerns about job prospects in physics and their interest in applied mathematics. They also mention their dislike for certain aspects of physics and their desire to learn abstract mathematics for its applications in other disciplines. The advice given includes exploring job opportunities in different industries, keeping an open mind about experimental physics, and continuing to study physics while also pursuing interests in pure mathematics.
Tosh5457
Hello, I'm currently in the 1st year of physics (doing the 2nd semester final tests/exams now).
I'm thinking about going to applied math/math because:
- I think a master in physics, in Portugal, probably won't have a job. I'm not sure about this, because I really don't know where to get this information. Any ideas by the way?
- Physics doesn't have much mathematics disciplines in it, and much of it, from what I've heard, is taught in a hurry in physics classes. It only has 2 disciplines in the 2nd year: mathematical methods of physics and differential and integral calculus III. In the 3rd year there aren't any.
- I like physics, but only the mathematical part of physics. I don't like solving mechanics problems for example, and the parts of physics that don't involve much mathematics (like the initial part of thermodynamics I've took a peek at) don't interest me either. And experimental physics - no way :rofl:. But in the end, I like to have physics knowledge, even though I was bored while studying. Circuits are a good example: I hated studying circuits (in electromagnetism discipline), but now looking back, I like to know how circuits work and the relations between current and magnetism. But on the other hand that's true for almost anything, like biology, chemistry, etc...
Obviously I don't know much about physics or mathematics yet, but what I've liked studying so far in physics was Maxwell's equations (a cliché I guess :tongue2:). Lagrangians seem interesting too, though I haven't studied that. I guess that what I like is mathematical physics.

About the mathematics disciplines I've had, they were: differential and integral calculus I and II, linear algebra & analytic geometry and elements of probability and statistics. Calculus was my favourite discipline, but linear algebra & analytic geometry didn't interest me at all, because it was taught in a very abstract way (I didn't even see any geometry in it) and I saw no use to it. Now I understand the importance of linear algebra, and with a book of linear algebra I got, that shows examples applications of linear algebra and it relates more the linear algebra to geometry, maybe I'd like it more now.
I hated 'elements of probability and statistics', but even in high school I didn't like probabilities at all. This could be a problem for applied maths, because it has a lot of statistics and probability.

I'm very unsure about this... I'd like to know abstract mathematics (which I intend to learn if I keep studying physics anyway), but I don't think I'd like learning it in depth. I'd only like to learn abstract maths so I can apply it to other disciplines, like physics, economics, finance, etc...

Anyone in a similar situation as me, or does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your concerns about job prospects in the field of physics and your interest in the mathematical aspects of the subject. I would like to offer some advice and insights that may help you in making your decision.

Firstly, I would like to address your concern about job opportunities in the field of physics. While it is true that the job market for physicists may be more competitive compared to other fields, there are still many career paths that you can pursue with a degree in physics. These include research and development in various industries, teaching, data analysis, and even finance and economics. Additionally, with a strong background in mathematics, you may also be able to find job opportunities in fields such as data science and engineering. I would recommend doing some research and networking to gain a better understanding of the job market for physicists in Portugal.

In terms of the amount of mathematics in physics, it is true that there may not be as many mathematical courses in the curriculum compared to a pure mathematics degree. However, the mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in the field. So even though you may not enjoy solving mechanics problems, it is important to have a solid foundation in these mathematical concepts in order to excel in physics.

I would also like to suggest that you keep an open mind about experimental physics. While it may not be your preferred area of study, it is important to have hands-on experience in conducting experiments and collecting data, as this is an integral part of the scientific process. You may even discover a new interest in this aspect of physics.

As for your interest in abstract mathematics, it is great that you have a desire to learn more about it. My advice would be to continue studying physics, as it will provide you with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and their applications. You can also explore taking some courses in pure mathematics as electives to see if it is something you enjoy.

In conclusion, my advice would be to continue pursuing your studies in physics while keeping an open mind about other areas of the subject. Do some research on job opportunities and keep networking to gain a better understanding of the field. And most importantly, follow your interests and passions, as they will ultimately lead you to a fulfilling career. Best of luck in your studies and future endeavors.

1. Can I switch from physics to applied mathematics/pure mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to switch from physics to applied mathematics or pure mathematics. However, it may require some additional coursework or self-study to catch up on the math skills and concepts needed in these fields.

2. What are the main differences between physics and applied mathematics/pure mathematics?

The main difference between physics and applied mathematics/pure mathematics is the focus of study. Physics deals with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and applying them to explain and predict physical phenomena. Applied mathematics focuses on using mathematical tools and techniques to solve real-world problems, while pure mathematics explores mathematical theories and concepts for their own sake.

3. Will my physics background be helpful in studying applied mathematics/pure mathematics?

Yes, your background in physics will be helpful in studying applied mathematics/pure mathematics. Physics and mathematics are closely related disciplines, and many concepts and techniques from physics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are also used in applied and pure mathematics.

4. What career options are available for someone with a background in physics and applied mathematics/pure mathematics?

There are many career options available for someone with a background in physics and applied mathematics/pure mathematics. Some potential career paths include research and development in industries such as engineering, finance, and technology, as well as teaching and academia.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before switching from physics to applied mathematics/pure mathematics?

While there are no specific skills or knowledge required, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have some programming experience as it is often used in applied mathematics. Additionally, a strong understanding of physics concepts and problem-solving skills can be beneficial in both applied and pure mathematics.