IB student, Urgently on extended essay(Non Newtonian fluids)

In summary: I wanted to do something on mechanics, but my school said it was too simplistic.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle to narrow down a research question for their extended essay in physics for the IB diploma program. They are interested in non-Newtonian fluids and have formulated several potential research questions. They are seeking suggestions for a focused and specific aspect to investigate, as well as resources and journals to aid in their research. The conversation also touches on the importance of choosing a topic that is not too simplistic or too difficult without proper equipment, and the possibility of looking at past extended essays for inspiration.
Synxervious
Hi, guys. I'm doing an extended essay in physics for the IB diploma program. The extended essay is a 4000 word research project on a topic of your choice, and I have opted to do mine in physics.

I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing down a suitable research question, and at this point, I have neither time nor the ability to think straight.

Please help me? I'm thinking of doing an experiment on non Newtonian fluids, particularly oobleck. Flows, density, response to stress, turbulence etc, are all things that I am interested in. However, fluid dynamics is too wide a scope, and I certainly do not intend to engage in the study of mathematics that would make Richard Feynman cry.

I have formulated several research questions, not necessarily all related. Most are either pretty bad or unfocused. Please help me in narrowing down an aspect worthy of investigation. by suggesting something I might want to investigate? It would be really helpful if you could point out any journals or resources that I might find helpful.

the RQs are:

1. Investigating the movement of raindrops down a window sill.

2. Investigating how the presence of solute particles affects electrical conductivity within 1 mol dm-3 sodium chloride solution.

3. Investigating how the density of oobleck changes it's surface tension. ( Or something related to this. I find this really interesting)

4. Investigating how frequency of sound affects the patterns produced in a non Newtonian fluid??

5. Investigating the physics of the bicycle.

Yeah, as you can tell, I am really lost.the topic really cannot be too simple, and physics needs to be the STAR of the show. Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Second year. It's a pre-university course, similar to A Levels, Advanced Placement courses.

Blood sounds interesting... Unfortunately, it's been done already :/

Bump :eek:

I did IB, and my extended essay was in Physics some 5 years ago now. Maybe the topics can't be too simple but beware of choosing something that would be too difficult to do without the right equipment, and make sure you can get that equipment.

I'm afraid I can't really help you find journals or resources until you've narrowed down a particular area you want to do, because there's just too many! I can send you my extended essay if I can find it, though beware, I didn't really get a good grade for it, since I never paid attention in school and didn't bother, but maybe you can get some idea, however I remember our school showed us past extended essays so we could get an idea, didn't your school?

Bump. :/ Thanks NewtonianAlch. They did, but most of them were on mechanics.

1. What is an IB student?

An IB (International Baccalaureate) student is a high school student who is enrolled in the rigorous IB program, which offers internationally recognized courses and exams. The program is known for its challenging curriculum and emphasis on critical thinking and global awareness.

2. What is an extended essay?

An extended essay is a research project that is part of the IB program and is typically completed in the last two years of high school. It allows students to explore a topic of interest in depth and develop research and writing skills.

3. What are Non Newtonian fluids?

Non Newtonian fluids are liquids or mixtures that do not follow the laws of Newtonian physics, particularly in terms of viscosity (thickness) and flow behavior. Examples include ketchup, shampoo, and blood. These fluids can change their viscosity in response to external forces, such as pressure or shear stress.

4. Why is there an urgent need for an extended essay on Non Newtonian fluids?

The topic of Non Newtonian fluids is a relevant and interesting area of study in the fields of physics and chemistry. There is still much to be discovered and understood about these fluids, and an extended essay can contribute to the existing knowledge and understanding of them. Additionally, the IB program has strict deadlines for the completion of the extended essay, hence the urgency.

5. What are some potential research questions for an extended essay on Non Newtonian fluids?

Some potential research questions for an extended essay on Non Newtonian fluids could include: How do different types of Non Newtonian fluids behave under different external forces? What factors affect the viscosity of Non Newtonian fluids? How can the behavior of Non Newtonian fluids be predicted and controlled? What are the real-world applications of Non Newtonian fluids?